How to analyze for torque needed

• Thread starter blacktie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, to determine the amount of torque needed for a belt-driven reversible motor to turn a roll of kraft paper, you will need to take into account the size and weight of the roll, as well as any additional friction from the belt, in order to select the appropriate motor for the task.
blacktie
I am hanging a pole (made of pvc) on a wall. On the pole will be a roll of kraft paper. I would like to hook up a simple belt driven reversible motor for the purpose of turning the roll to let the paper down then wind it back up.
How do I determine the amount of torque the motor should have to perform the task?

Please be gentle - I googled the random question to get my registration to pass - I have no clue about the science of these things - normally, if they weren't so dad gum expensive, I'd just buy one of each motor and try them til i found one that worked.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The amount of torque required will depend on several factors, including the size of the roll of paper, the weight of the paper, and the friction on the axle of the motor. Generally speaking, the larger the roll and the heavier the paper, the more torque the motor will need to have. Additionally, if you are using a belt-driven motor, the belt itself can add additional friction and require more torque. To determine the amount of torque required, you should first measure the size and weight of the roll of paper, then calculate the amount of friction on the axle of the motor. You can then use this information to help you select a motor with the appropriate amount of torque for the job.

What is torque and why is it important to analyze for it?

Torque is a measure of the force required to rotate an object around an axis. It is important to analyze for torque because it helps determine the amount of power needed to move or rotate an object, and can also indicate the stability and strength of a structure.

What factors affect the torque needed for a particular task?

The torque needed for a task is affected by several factors, including the distance from the axis of rotation, the weight of the object, and the angle at which the force is applied. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in determining the torque needed.

How do I calculate the torque needed for a specific task?

The formula for calculating torque is torque = force x distance. First, determine the force required to move or rotate the object, then measure the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Multiply these two values to calculate the torque needed.

What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system, or pound-feet (lb*ft) in the imperial system. Other common units include kilogram-meters (kg*m) and inch-pounds (in*lb).

What are some real-world applications of analyzing for torque needed?

Analyzing for torque needed is important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics. It is used in designing and building structures such as bridges and buildings, as well as in everyday tasks such as turning a bolt with a wrench or pedaling a bicycle. It is also crucial in understanding the movement and stability of objects in space and the forces acting on them.