How to arrange given resistors in a given shape to meet target value?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Bahamas
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have available resistors of 5 different values (10kΩ, 22kΩ, 47kΩ, 100kΩ and 220kΩ).
How can I choose a combination of these resistors that will create a total resistance of 35kΩ in a U shape (using 5 resistors)?
See attached picture of 'U' to get a clear picture of the shape.

Homework Equations


Series Resistors
[R][/eq] = [R][/1]+[R][/2]+[R][/3]+...

Parallel Resistors
1/[R][/eq]=1/[R][/1] + 1/[R][/2] + 1/[R][/3] +...

The Attempt at a Solution


I really don't know here. They would all be in a series for the 'U' shape, so even if I use 5 of the 10kΩ resistors, I will end up with a total resistance of 50kΩ
 
Attachments
  • U.PNG
    U.PNG
    524 bytes · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem that since a simple series arrangement of the resistors does not give the desired total resistance of 35 k Ohms, you will need to explore an arrangement of resistors in parallel combined with resistors in series to see if a total R = 35 k Ohms can be established.