1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low Pass: Why did my professor use frequency and not angular frequency?

1. Apr 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We are given a passive RC low pass filter with an input voltage of 5 Vrms at a frequency of 1 kHz. The resistor has a value of 22 kΩ, the capacitor a value of 100 nF. There is a current i accross the resistor. (see picture below)

We are to calculate the magnitude and phase angle of the output voltage.

By the way, in the picture below is in german, so V eff means rms, I think the rest should be apparent.

94AFb9GrvH3MXwQBm89aUlN8Y3uIzISAg6c_f-yAIpamzl6iDAXYupibtgi9B1d-wFy2QfeLmwWCXhTYH0=w1142-h816-no.jpg

2. Relevant equations

UR = R*I

Uout = I*XC

XC = I / ω*C

ω = 2*π*f (in rad/s)

3. The attempt at a solution

Analytically, this is not a problem, and I have attached the solution from the professor. My only problem is that for ω the professor used the frequency f, and not 2πf. As in:

ω = f = 1 kHz

This makes no sense to me and seems wrong. Could somebody possibly clarify what´s going on here? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems wrong to me as well. I got 0.36V.

4. Apr 15, 2017 #3
    I think this must be a clerical mistake, as in all of the other examples he uses ω = 2πf. Thanks a bunch for checking! :oldsmile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted