Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to block off charge particles from an electron accelerator?

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    Assuming an electron accelerator is firing electrons at a designated location to generate current. Is it possible to block it off before it reaches that location like with an iron shield or somesort. Is there a simpler or harder way to do this and is it possible to block it off completely? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2
    How fast would the electrons be moving? Or how long have they been accelerating? Or how strong is the electric field? lead or and electromagnetic field would work best. The electromagnetic field may be able to alter the corse of the electron so that it misses the designated location, but stopping it is unlikley. lead might be able to stop it if the electron is moving slow enough to be captured by the lead.

4. Nov 22, 2011 #3
    Energetic electrons that are produced as a result of beta decay (typically Mev) can be stopped by a few millimeters of metal. Electrons accelerated in linear accelerators typically have more energy and are harder to stop.

5. Nov 22, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Can I ask why is this accelerator being used to generate a current at a location? Is this in a conductor, or plasma, or what?

6. Nov 22, 2011 #5
    Got the idea that I'm being targeted by one while I'm asleep, not sure which type of accelerator that would be. What kind of equipment would generate an electromagnetic field to alter the course of the electrons? Is it possible to buy one anywhere that would affect the entire room?

7. Nov 22, 2011 #6

Drakkith

I have absolutely no idea why you would think this is happening to you. It simply isn't possible to fire electrons through air, walls, etc without a LOT of people knowing about it. I don't think we have an accelerator that can do that considering how easy it is for anything to block them, so I don't even think it is remotely possible. ALL accelerators require hard vacuum to even work.

8. Nov 23, 2011 #7
    well, how else would you generate current at a taget location.

9. Nov 23, 2011 #8

Drakkith

Generally you don't generate current at a location greater than a few inches to a foot or so away from whatever source, such as the magnets in a generator. And this only happens in a conductor, not in you or most of the stuff in your room. Why do you think someone is attempting to generate a current in/around you?

10. Nov 23, 2011 #9
    You've got to calm down, fredreload. The notion that someone is aiming a particle accelerator at you is outlandish. It couldn't be done, even if someone wanted to. It takes huge electromagnets just to keep the electrons contained going round and round inside the machine. They can't "beam" those electrons anywhere: if they happen to get out of the accelerator they randomly disperse and slow down quickly.

The fact you said you think it only happens while you're asleep indicates to me you might actually be having some kind of sleep problem. Maybe reading up on sleep disorders will be more fruitful than finding out about particle accelerators:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_disorder
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I, myself, have had 4 instances of sleep paralysis. They were terrifying. I had no explanation for them at the time they happened, and if it had occurred to me that they were caused by a particle accelerator, I would have considered that explanation as good as any. In the time since, though, I discovered that there are all kinds of physiological/medical/mental/neurological problems that are well known and can explain any weird feeling or experience anyone can have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook