1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to build a medium power cyclotron

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    Hey. Im a freshman in highschool, and iv'e been reading about building a cyclotron. I have the basic principles understood but can someone explain how exactly i would assemble on, and the mathematics behind it. ALso and information about how the fields interact would be phenomenal. I have about 250-300 dollars at my disposal to build this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sorry, you don't have the basic principles understood if you don't understand what the fields are doing. And $300 won't even get you started.

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    I know what they are doing. I need to know some of the mathematics behind the interactions of my ionized hydrogen nucleus and how it travel throughout the fields. I am very good at physics and I understand how a cyclotron works. I need someone to explain some of the calculations. Also where I could get the supplies. I do know How i works, i just need help on how i would assemble it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  5. Jan 28, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, I'm afraid you don't know what you are doing. Worse, you don't know that you don't know what you are doing. "I need to know ... how it travel throughout the fields" is a statement that you don't really understand the principles.

You don't have either the understanding or the resources ($300 is not enough) to do this.

6. Jan 28, 2012 #5
    SIr, i mean mathematically can you supply a formula that would calculate their behavior. and if you think i dont know than please explain. Also i actually need help on building instructions

7. Jan 28, 2012 #6
    It will be a VERY small one, the size of a bread plat. As small as possible

8. Jan 28, 2012 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It would be irresponsible to give you instructions, as you have neither the understanding nor the resources to do this successfully and safely.

This thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook