How To Build A Simple Particle Accelerator

Hello, all. I've heard of a few renowned scientists having build small particle accelerators in their garages as teenagers, and I've wondered how I could do the same. Obviously, I'm not looking for anything LHC-scale, but rather a few feet in circumference. I've seen similar projects on the internet, but never stating how to build it, or where to start. So how would I go about creating a small, low voltage particle accelerator? How would I create the vacuum? How would I capture the starting hadrons? How would I accelerate them? How would I observe them? How would I collide them with something else? I realize that this is a very complicated topic, but I am very interesting in pursuing it. Thank you very much in advance.

Likes Al-fawaz Adeite

Answers and Replies

K^2
Science Advisor
You start by learning classical electrodynamics, special relativity, and some basic particle physics. Once you understand these subjects, most of the questions you have will clear themselves. Until then, giving you any practical advice would only help you injure yourself.

Likes Al-fawaz Adeite
Bobbywhy
Gold Member
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Bobbywhy neglected to mention that both of those threads were locked because this is difficult and dangerous, especially if one does not have the proper background.