1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How To Build A Simple Particle Accelerator

1. Aug 18, 2012 #1
    Hello, all. I've heard of a few renowned scientists having build small particle accelerators in their garages as teenagers, and I've wondered how I could do the same. Obviously, I'm not looking for anything LHC-scale, but rather a few feet in circumference. I've seen similar projects on the internet, but never stating how to build it, or where to start. So how would I go about creating a small, low voltage particle accelerator? How would I create the vacuum? How would I capture the starting hadrons? How would I accelerate them? How would I observe them? How would I collide them with something else? I realize that this is a very complicated topic, but I am very interesting in pursuing it. Thank you very much in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2012 #2

K^2

Science Advisor

You start by learning classical electrodynamics, special relativity, and some basic particle physics. Once you understand these subjects, most of the questions you have will clear themselves. Until then, giving you any practical advice would only help you injure yourself.

4. Aug 19, 2012 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

ThomasSatt, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Using the Google search terms “how to make a small particle accelerator” I found these two threads from here on Physics Forums. Also, there are lots more additional sites you can visit.

From Apr24-06
    how can I make a particle accelerator?
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=118622

From Sep21-11
    I'm looking to build a small particle accelerator for a science fair
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=532391

5. Aug 19, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Bobbywhy neglected to mention that both of those threads were locked because this is difficult and dangerous, especially if one does not have the proper background.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook