Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homemade Particle Accelerator?

1. Dec 26, 2013 #1
    Hi PF,

I've been looking to do a physics project for a while, and I thought about trying to build a particle accelerator at home. I know there's a lot of potential risks involved, and I imagine some legal issues, but is it plausible for a 15 year old to build a crude particle accelerator at home, with minimal risks? I know all the math and physics (calculus, differential equations, electromagnetism, special relativity, etc
    .) and how to actually build the accelerator. I'm wondering:
    1. What are the potential risks and how can I avoid them?
    2. Is it realistic for a 15 year old to even try?
    3. How long would it take and how much would it cost?
    Thanks for all of your help PF.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2013 #2

phinds

Insights Author
    Gold Member

There have been several threads on this forum about that topic but as I recall, they all end up getting closed because it's too dangerous. Try a forum search.

4. Dec 26, 2013 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

A particle accelerator is a dangerous project involving high voltage electricity and radiation and can easily kill or injure you or someone else. I'm not a mod, but I don't believe PF rules allow us to discuss dangerous projects, especially with amateurs who do not have the required expertise and knowledge to safely build them.

5. Dec 26, 2013 #4

Dale

Insights Author

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?