How to Build a Synchronous Demodulator Using Basic Components

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a synchronous demodulator using basic components such as op-amps. The speaker is looking for a more efficient design and setup, and they are experiencing problems with their current setup, including the presence of a 20kHz frequency in the final output. Suggestions are provided, including using envelope detection or synchronous demodulation with balanced mixers. The speaker also mentions using a sensor output as one input for a multiplier circuit to create a synchronous demodulator.
akhurash
I need to make a synchronous demodulator using basic components (op-amps, etc...) and I was wondering if anyone has currently made one. I want to avoid using an custom IC chip unless there is one available. I was looking into the Analog's AD630 and TI's INA143 (which they claim can be used as one) but I'm not exactly sure how to hook them up and I think it might be cheaper to actually just build one.

Currently I have the following setup but I'm wondering if anyone has a more efficient design or setup:

I have the input AM signal going into two amplifiers, one non-inverting and the other inverting which go into a voltage controlled switch. The switch oscillator between the two inputs (the outputs of the two amplifiers) based on the carrier frequency (20 kHz). One problem is that I have the output of the switch going into 3 low-pass filters. Two are just basic capacitor-resistor networks and the last one is a Butterworth 2nd order filter. The problem is that the Butterworth filter isn't enough for some reason. I need the two passive low-pass filters before it to get a nice smooth signal.

Also even after the Butterworth filter the signal still contains a frequency content of 20kHz, which at this point isn't so bad but I can't figure out why this is happening.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• circuit 2.png
    circuit 2.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,651
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not understanding your technique of demodulation. This page may be of help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demodulation

For an AM signal, you can just use envelope detection -- there is not really a need to use synchronous detection. Alternately, you can use synchrous demodulation with In-phase (I) and Quadrature-phase (Q) balanced mixers with the carrier frequency driving the I and Q modulators (out of phase). You then combine the I and Q demodulated outputs to get your AM modulating signal back.

For balanced mixers, you can use the classic MC1496 IC...

For synchronous detection you need a local oscillator that is phase locked to the signal you want to demodulate. This oscillator is used to switch (/ multiply) the received signal. If the oscillator isn't locked, the demodulator produces 'beats' on top of what you want.
Sorry if this is too obvious for words. :smile:

Thank you for the replies. I do understand the demodulation process in theory but what I'm having trouble with is creating a circuit using components I have and the reason is because the AM signal I'm working with isn't really a typical AM signal... It is modulated but its unique because it's from a sensor output and I can't use the envolope dector.

Currently what I have seems to work but I was looking to improve it. Also, I can't rid of the fundamental frequency of the circuit at the final output and I don't understand why it is happening, espically in simulation and since I'm filtering the output signal through 3 low-pass filters.

If you have AM, you do not need a synchronous detector. After rectification you just need adequate low pass filtering. Even a notch would do.

If you have a little DC, it will become a 20 kHz signal.
Generally, your LPF is well under this.

If your sensor system has an extra output from it with a plain, unmodulated on it then you can use this as one input to a multiplier circuit . Put your AM signal on the other input and you will have yourself a basic synchronous demodulator circuit. Once you have the biasing and phases right, there will be little 20kHz on the output from this.

1. How does a synchronous demodulator work?

A synchronous demodulator is an electronic circuit that extracts information from a modulated signal by synchronizing its operation with the carrier signal. It uses a reference signal, typically the carrier signal, to demodulate the modulated signal and recover the original information.

2. What are the basic components needed to build a synchronous demodulator?

The basic components needed to build a synchronous demodulator include a mixer, a low-pass filter, a local oscillator, and a phase-locked loop (PLL). The mixer combines the modulated signal with the reference signal, the low-pass filter removes any high-frequency components, the local oscillator generates the reference signal, and the PLL ensures synchronization between the reference and modulated signals.

3. Can a synchronous demodulator be used for any type of modulation?

Yes, a synchronous demodulator can be used for any type of modulation as long as the reference signal is synchronized with the carrier signal of the modulated signal. This allows for the extraction of the modulated information regardless of the type of modulation used.

4. What are the advantages of using a synchronous demodulator?

One advantage of using a synchronous demodulator is its high sensitivity and selectivity, as it only extracts the information from the desired carrier signal. It also has a lower noise level compared to other types of demodulators, making it ideal for high-quality signal demodulation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a synchronous demodulator?

One limitation of using a synchronous demodulator is its sensitivity to frequency drift between the reference and modulated signals. This can result in a loss of synchronization and affect the demodulation process. Additionally, the use of a PLL in the circuit increases the complexity and cost of the demodulator.