How to Calculate Charge Content of a Sphere with Spherical Symmetry?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Hannisch
Messages
114
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A charge distribution with spherical symmetry has the density [tex]\rho = \rho _0 r/R[/tex] for 0≤ r ≤ R. Determine the total charge content of the sphere.

Homework Equations



[tex]\rho = Q / V[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I started by thinking of the charge dQ of a small volume dV, since

[tex]\rho = dQ / dV[/tex]

I used spherical coordinates to define dV, and said that dV would be

[tex]dV = (r d \varphi )(r d \theta) dr[/tex]

Where [tex]\varphi[/tex] goes from 0 to 2*pi, [tex]\theta[/tex] goes from -pi/2 to pi/2, and r goes from 0 to R, thus covering the entire sphere.

So:

[tex]dQ = \rho dV = \rho r^2 d \varphi d \theta dr = \frac{\rho _0 r}{R} r^2 d \varphi d \theta dr = \frac{\rho _0 r^3}{R} d \varphi d \theta dr[/tex]

I then integrated over this as:

Q = [tex]\int ^ {2 \pi} _ {0} \int ^ {\pi /2} _ {-\pi /2} \int ^ {R} _ {0} \frac{\rho _0 r^3}{R} d \varphi d \theta dr[/tex]

[tex]Q = 2 \pi (\pi /2 + \pi /2) \frac{\rho _0 }{R} \int ^ {R} _ {0} r^3 dr = 2 \pi ^2 \frac{\rho _0 }{R} \frac{R^4}{4} = \frac{1}{2} \pi ^2 \rho _0 R^3[/tex]

And this is not correct, and I can't figure out where I've gone wrong. (It's supposed to be only [tex]\pi \rho _0 R^3[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
consider any spherical shell inside the sphere of radius x(<R) and thicknedd dx
find charge on it and then integrate it dx from 0 to R
 
Hannisch said:
I used spherical coordinates to define dV, and said that dV would be

[tex]dV = (r d \varphi )(r d \theta) dr[/tex]

Where [tex]\varphi[/tex] goes from 0 to 2*pi, [tex]\theta[/tex] goes from -pi/2 to pi/2, and r goes from 0 to R, thus covering the entire sphere.

Check dV. It is wrong.

ehild