How to Calculate Cube Root of a Number in 10 Seconds

In summary, the first step to solving cube roots is to memorize the cubes of 1 to 9. This will be a useful tool in solving cube roots. A table is provided for convenience, showing the cubes and their corresponding unit digits. The next step is to remember the last digit (unit digit) of each cube. Once both of these steps are completed, you can quickly calculate cube roots, as demonstrated in the conversation. This neat trick can be done in less than 5 seconds with practice and can be verified with a calculator.
dineshhx
The first and the most important step is to memorize the cubes of 1 to 9. These would form an important part of your toolkit in solving the cube roots. Here is a table for your convenience.

1 –> 1
2 –> 8
3 –> 27
4 –> 64
5 –> 125
6 –> 216
7 –> 343
8 –> 512
9 –> 729

Once you memorize this list, the next step is to remember the last digit (unit digit) of each of these cubes. Here is the list again, only with unit digits this time.

1 –> 1
2 –> 8
3 –> 7
4 –> 4
5 –> 5
6 –> 6
7 –> 3
8 –> 2
9 –> 9

That’s it. Now that you have memorized the cubes of first 9 natural numbers and their unit digits, you are all set to amaze your friends by calculating cube roots within 5 seconds (given that they have not read this article).

Calculate the cube root of 941192.
Step 1 —– We get two parts i.e. 941 and 192.
Step 2 —– The largest cube less than 941 is 729 (cube of 9). So, ten’s digit is 9.
Step 3 —– The ending digit is 2. Hence, unit’s digit is 8. That’s it. 98 is the answer.
Practice it a bit and you would be able to solve this in even less than 5 seconds.

You can verify your answer using a calculator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neat trick! (Yes)

I have moved the thread here since it is not about getting the solution to a problem, and I have removed the link to the online calculator...we have a widget here that will do such calculations, and our users also all have their favorite online calculators or dedicated graphing calculators anyway, so there is no need for such a link. :D

1. How do I calculate the cube root of a number in 10 seconds?

To calculate the cube root of a number in 10 seconds, you can use a scientific calculator or use a shortcut method called the "divisibility rule for 3." This rule states that if the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by 3, then the number is also divisible by 3. By applying this rule to the cube root of a number, you can quickly determine the approximate value of the cube root.

2. Can I use a calculator to calculate the cube root of a number in 10 seconds?

Yes, you can use a scientific calculator to calculate the cube root of a number in 10 seconds. Most scientific calculators have a cube root function that you can use to quickly calculate the cube root of a number. However, if you want to calculate the cube root without a calculator, you can use the "divisibility rule for 3" method.

3. Is there a specific method for calculating the cube root of a number in 10 seconds?

Yes, as mentioned before, you can use the "divisibility rule for 3" method to calculate the cube root of a number in 10 seconds. This method involves finding the sum of the digits of the number and checking if it is divisible by 3. If it is, then the number is also divisible by 3, making it easier to determine the approximate value of the cube root.

4. Can I calculate the cube root of a decimal number in 10 seconds?

Yes, you can calculate the cube root of a decimal number in 10 seconds using the "divisibility rule for 3" method. However, the result will be an approximate value as the method only works for whole numbers. For more accurate results, you can use a calculator or a more precise mathematical method.

5. Are there any other shortcuts or methods for calculating the cube root of a number in 10 seconds?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the cube root of a number in 10 seconds, such as the "prime factorization method" or the "guess and check method." These methods may require some practice and familiarity with mathematical concepts, but they can also provide more accurate results compared to the "divisibility rule for 3" method.