1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate dA of a circle

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello! I need to calculate a little fraction (dA) of the area of a circle (mass m and radius R and area A) and I have no idea how to do this.

2. Relevant equations
    According to my textbook [itex]dm=\frac{M.dA}{A}=\sigma .dA[/itex] and [itex]dA=R.dR.d\theta[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I tried to analyze the problem and my first thought was [itex]dA=\pi dR^2[/itex]. This is obviously wrong so I tried to think a little bit more and this is what I got [itex]dA=R.dR[/itex]... wrong again.
    PS: is there a problem that I post here very often (create new topics)??

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2
    This is a calculus question.

Why does your circle have mass? Do you mean a disc?

You almost had it with [itex]dA = r \; dr[/itex], but you need to account for the angle. Think of it like this: start at a point [itex](r,\theta)[/itex]. From there, add a small radial distance [itex]dr[/itex] and a small angle [itex]d\theta[/itex]. Doing so should define a small rectangle. One side is just [itex]dr[/itex], but the other side, based on the change in angle, depends on how far away you are from the center of the circle: that side length is [itex]r \; d\theta[/itex].

The small differential area [itex]dA[/itex] is then just the product of the two side lengths of the (nearly) rectangular shape we have: [itex](dr)(r \; d\theta) = r \; dr \; d\theta[/itex].

4. Jun 7, 2012 #3
    Yes, sorry I was thinking about a disc. I think I got it now! Thank you for the answer and sorry for posting this question in the wrong forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook