Using Partial Derivatives to estimate error

In summary, the area of a triangle can be calculated using the formula (1/2)absin(c), where a and b are the lengths of the two sides of the triangle and c is the angle between them. In a given scenario where a, b, and c are measured to be 150ft, 200ft, and 60 degrees, the error in the area calculation can be determined by using the differential of the area formula. When using the chain rule, it is important to use radians instead of degrees for the angle measurement in order to get an accurate result.
Nikstykal

Homework Statement

[/B]
The area of a triangle is (1/2)absin(c) where a and b are the lengths of the two sides of the triangle and c is the angle between. In surveying some land, a, b, and c are measured to be 150ft, 200ft, and 60 degrees. By how much could your area calculation be in error if your values for a and b are off by half a foot each and your measurement of c off by 2 degrees? See figure below

Homework Equations

[/B]
dA(x,y,z) = dA/dx dx + dA/dy dy + dA/dz dz
A = 1/2*absin(c)
a = 150+-0.5 ft, b = 200+-0.5 ft, c = 60+-2 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I first used the chain rule on the Area to get dA

dA = 0.5bsin(c)*da + 0.5asin(c)*db + 0.5abcos(c)*dc

Setting da = 0.5, db = 0.5, and dc = 2 and plugging in my values I get a completely wrong answer (the actual answer is 338 ft^2). Something felt off about the dc, because it varied so differently than the da and db changes. I then read that the change has to be relative to the value or something like that so instead of using dc = 2 degrees, I did dc = sin(2) = 0.0349, which in fact does give me the correct answer.

My question: when determining that you can substitute the change in measured values for the dx variable, how do you know how to properly relate that change with the equation? Is it calculated by the expressed change in the function? For example, when you change the measured side by 1 ft, you are calculating 1 ft into the function, but when you change by 1 degree you are calculating sin(x+1) in the function. I'm trying to understand this better, thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
Nikstykal said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
The area of a triangle is (1/2)absin(c) where a and b are the lengths of the two sides of the triangle and c is the angle between. In surveying some land, a, b, and c are measured to be 150ft, 200ft, and 60 degrees. By how much could your area calculation be in error if your values for a and b are off by half a foot each and your measurement of c off by 2 degrees? See figure below

Homework Equations

[/B]
dA(x,y,z) = dA/dx dx + dA/dy dy + dA/dz dz
A = 1/2*absin(c)
a = 150+-0.5 ft, b = 200+-0.5 ft, c = 60+-2 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I first used the chain rule on the Area to get dA
I don't see that you used the chain rule here. You calculated the differential of A, and used the product rule to get each of the three partial derivatives that make up the differential.
Nikstykal said:
dA = 0.5bsin(c)*da + 0.5asin(c)*db + 0.5abcos(c)*dc

Setting da = 0.5, db = 0.5, and dc = 2
The reason your answer is off is that you are using degrees for c and dc. If you change the 2° to the equivalent radian measure, you should get the right answer.
Nikstykal said:
and plugging in my values I get a completely wrong answer (the actual answer is 338 ft^2). Something felt off about the dc, because it varied so differently than the da and db changes. I then read that the change has to be relative to the value or something like that so instead of using dc = 2 degrees, I did dc = sin(2) = 0.0349, which in fact does give me the correct answer.

My question: when determining that you can substitute the change in measured values for the dx variable, how do you know how to properly relate that change with the equation? Is it calculated by the expressed change in the function? For example, when you change the measured side by 1 ft, you are calculating 1 ft into the function, but when you change by 1 degree you are calculating sin(x+1) in the function.
No, that's not what you do.
You use the given values of a, b, and c (namely, 150, 200, and ##\pi/3##, respectively) and the given values of ##\Delta a##, ##\Delta b##, and ##\Delta c##. The differential is a function of these six values.
Nikstykal said:
I'm trying to understand this better, thanks!

Why do you have to convert everything to radians to get the correct answer? Is that just the way trig functions work properly? Isn't using degrees and then using sin(2) as the change the equivalent?

Nikstykal said:
Why do you have to convert everything to radians to get the correct answer?
Because all of the numbers involved have to be real numbers, and radians are real numbers. Unlike degrees, radians are not really units.
Nikstykal said:
Is that just the way trig functions work properly? Isn't using degrees and then using sin(2) as the change the equivalent?
You'll get the same results for ##\sin(60°)## and ##\sin(\pi/3)## it's true, but as you found, you get very different results if you use degree measure for ##\Delta c## instead of real numbers (i.e., radians).

Nikstykal said:
Why do you have to convert everything to radians to get the correct answer? Is that just the way trig functions work properly? Isn't using degrees and then using sin(2) as the change the equivalent?
It's because for the derivatives (and integrals) of trig functions, the argument θ (the angle) is implicitly assumed to be measured in radians.
That's some of the fine print in the basic calculus of trig functions which you should have learned.

If θ is measured in degrees, for example, then d (sin (θ)) / dθ ≠ cos (θ), etc.

Awesome, really appreciate the help. Thanks!

1. What are partial derivatives and how are they used to estimate error?

Partial derivatives are a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable. They are used in error estimation by taking the partial derivatives of the error function with respect to each variable and then finding the magnitude of the resulting vector.

2. Why is it important to use partial derivatives in estimating error?

Using partial derivatives allows for a more accurate estimation of error because it takes into account the effect of each variable on the overall error. This helps to identify which variables have the most impact on the error and can guide the optimization process.

3. Can partial derivatives be used for any type of function?

Yes, partial derivatives can be used for any type of function, including both linear and nonlinear functions. However, the calculation of partial derivatives may be more complex for nonlinear functions.

4. How do partial derivatives help in improving the performance of a model?

By using partial derivatives to estimate error, it is possible to identify which variables have the greatest impact on the error and adjust them accordingly to improve the performance of the model. This allows for more efficient and targeted optimization of the model.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial derivatives for error estimation?

Partial derivatives may not provide an accurate estimation of error if the function is highly nonlinear or if the error function is not well-defined. In these cases, other methods such as gradient descent may be more suitable for error estimation.