How to Calculate Electric Flux Through a Tilted Box?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
zooboodoo
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A empty cardboard box is placed in an electric field pointing upwards with a strength of 1100 N/C as shown above. The bottom of the box is tilted up by an angle Θ = 19° from the horizontal. Side A of the box faces out of the page and is 10 cm high and 14 cm long. Sides B and C are 10 cm high and 12 cm deep. Sides D and E are 14 cm long and 12 cm deep.

calculate flux through each side of the box

Homework Equations


I have the equation Flux=EAcostheta



The Attempt at a Solution


(1100)(120)(cos71) did not give me the right answer, so I thought I would try cos19, but that also didn't work. ( that is for side B) I'm not sure if I'm missing something conceptually, I also tried the negatives for both of these answers, the flux is flowing through the side, to my understanding, i don't see when the flux would NOT be going through the side in order to get a negative result. If someone could help me grasp where I'm going wrong with one of the sides i would greatly appreciate it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi zooboodoo! :smile:

:confused: which is the base of the box? which edge is still on the table? :smile: