How to calculate flash point of mixture?

In summary, the individual flash points of 53ºF for isopropyl alcohol and 142ºF for aliphatic hydrocarbon mixture can be raised by adding water to the alcohol and using higher alcohols to improve miscibility and flash point. A precise calculation involving thermodynamics may be necessary for accurate results.
JGAN
Hey guys,
I would like to create a mixture out of two liquids with an ideal flash point of around 70ºF. The liquids I have to work with are 200 proof (100%) isopropyl alcohol (2-propanol) and aliphatic hydrocarbon mixture (aka hydrotreated petroleum distillates). What I'm looking for is the ideal ratio of alcohol to petroleum to mix in order to get a flash point close to 70ºF.

So far, I have collected this info on the liquids:
  • Alcohol MSDS: goo.gl/bFnGg
  • Flash point: 53ºF
  • Petroleum MSDS: goo.gl/XWEKf
  • Flash point: 142ºF
  • Petroleum % by weight: 100%
  • Petroleum consists of hydrocarbons having carbon numbers predominantly in the range of C9 through C16 and boiling in the range of approximately 150.degree.C to 290.degree.C (302.degree.F to 554.degree.F).
    More info: goo.gl/eJvHK
    Search for "64742-47-8"

Is there a formula I can use to go about doing this? Unfortunately, I only have a high school chemistry and physics background, so the farthest I have got is google :P

Thanks,
JGAN

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, a precise calculation, based in thermodynamics, is quite involved. However, if you Google something like "Effect of Additives on the Flash Point of Flammable Liquid" you will find that you can begin by adding water to the alcohol to raise its flash point (for example, a mixture of .7 water & .3 methanol seems to raise the flash point by 25 degrees C). You would then add this mixture to the petroleum.

One thing that makes this harder is whether the mixture will be 100% soluble or not- a two phase system is a strong possibility if even a slight amount of H2O contacts this, and then the vapor pressure exerted by the alcohol phase will rule the flashpoint as if the other was not even there.

If higher alcohols are available and exert the proper polar solvency for the application you propose for the mixture, they will ensure complete miscibility, be less prone to water breaking the phases, and will have a better flash point. They would also be able to mod the flash point of isopropanol so some of that can be incorporated.

1. What is the definition of flash point?

The flash point of a mixture is the lowest temperature at which it can release enough vapor to ignite in the air when exposed to an external heat source.

2. How is flash point calculated?

The flash point of a mixture is typically calculated using the flash point equation, which takes into account the boiling points and vapor pressures of the individual components in the mixture.

3. What factors can affect the flash point of a mixture?

The flash point of a mixture can be affected by various factors such as the composition of the mixture, the concentration of each component, and the presence of impurities or additives.

4. Can the flash point of a mixture be predicted?

Yes, the flash point of a mixture can be predicted using various models and equations based on the properties of the individual components and their interactions in the mixture.

5. Why is it important to know the flash point of a mixture?

Knowing the flash point of a mixture is important for safety reasons, as it helps to determine the potential fire and explosion hazards associated with handling, storing, and transporting the mixture.