How to Calculate Moment and Shear for a Wind Turbine Spar Design

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
mechanosauras
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,
I am working on designing a wind turbine spar for a second year mech project. The spar has an elliptical cross section, is hollow and linearly tapered with a linearly varying wall thickness. The entire tower reaches upwards at angle.

My question is:
if I want to find out the moment and shear at some cross-section at an arbitrary height L due to the weight of the tower, how do I best resolve these to a point load acting at the centroid of the cross-section?

My initial idea was to resolve the weight of the segment of tower above the cross-section to the center of mass of that segment, then determine the moment about the centroid of the cross-section. The shear would be the component of the weight acting along the face of the cross-section...

PS: I have my axes set such that the positive y-axis is concentric with the axis of the spar.

Any input would be great. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org