How to calculate motion of object pushed by force?

• Thread starter lemd
  • Start date
Hi

I know F=ma is applied when force pushes through object's center of mass. But in case force does not go through center of mass, how will the object react? I think object will rotate a little but don't know how to calculate things such as rotation and translation speed like the case with F=ma. I tried to google but can't find a simple generic answer.

Can someone show me how to calculate such things?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

Hi

I know F=ma is applied when force pushes through object's center of mass. But in case force does not go through center of mass, how will the object react? I think object will rotate a little but don't know how to calculate things such as rotation and translation speed like the case with F=ma. I tried to google but can't find a simple generic answer.

Can someone show me how to calculate such things?

Thanks

When you have progressed a little further, you will learn about angular velocity, angular acceleration, rotational moment of inertia, and torque. This will give you what you want.

actuallyy a force exerted like that ( i mean in a particular angle or direction). is know as torque and is different from actual force!! :D ...
i think it is clear if learn more about equilibruim both roataional and transilational ! :D ..

Thanks

I remember I learnt things like that a long time ago. Problem is physics is not my profession and so English is not my language when I learnt them. I just want some short answers because I already tried google.

So here are something I found but can't confirm they are true or not. When a random force applied:
1/ Center of mass of object still moves in a trajectory like in the the case the force is applied in center of mass and can be calculated by F=ma. Is it true?
2/ Object will rotate around center of mass. But I can't find a formula to calculate it. My guess is that object rotation is the same as when it is locked by a pivot at the center of mass. Is it true? If these two are true then I can calculate motion by a random force

Thanks

I remember I learnt things like that a long time ago. Problem is physics is not my profession and so English is not my language when I learnt them. I just want some short answers because I already tried google.

So here are something I found but can't confirm they are true or not. When a random force applied:
1/ Center of mass of object still moves in a trajectory like in the the case the force is applied in center of mass and can be calculated by F=ma. Is it true?
2/ Object will rotate around center of mass. But I can't find a formula to calculate it. My guess is that object rotation is the same as when it is locked by a pivot at the center of mass. Is it true? If these two are true then I can calculate motion by a random force
Yes and Yes.