Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate motion of object pushed by force?

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    Hi

I know F=ma is applied when force pushes through object's center of mass. But in case force does not go through center of mass, how will the object react? I think object will rotate a little but don't know how to calculate things such as rotation and translation speed like the case with F=ma. I tried to google but can't find a simple generic answer.

Can someone show me how to calculate such things?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2
    When you have progressed a little further, you will learn about angular velocity, angular acceleration, rotational moment of inertia, and torque. This will give you what you want.

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3
    actuallyy a force exerted like that ( i mean in a particular angle or direction). is know as torque and is different from actual force!! :D ...
    i think it is clear if learn more about equilibruim both roataional and transilational ! :D ..

5. Oct 22, 2013 #4
    Thanks

I remember I learnt things like that a long time ago. Problem is physics is not my profession and so English is not my language when I learnt them. I just want some short answers because I already tried google.

So here are something I found but can't confirm they are true or not. When a random force applied:
    1/ Center of mass of object still moves in a trajectory like in the the case the force is applied in center of mass and can be calculated by F=ma. Is it true?
    2/ Object will rotate around center of mass. But I can't find a formula to calculate it. My guess is that object rotation is the same as when it is locked by a pivot at the center of mass. Is it true? If these two are true then I can calculate motion by a random force

6. Oct 22, 2013 #5
    Yes and Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook