How to calculate negativity measurement of quantum state?

In summary, the negativity for tripartite states is a measure of entanglement between three subsystems, A, B, and C. It is calculated by taking the geometric mean of the negativity for each bipartite subsystem, which is determined by the negative eigenvalues of the partial transpose of the density matrix. The GHZ state is an example of a maximally entangled state, where the negativity is zero as there are no negative eigenvalues. The second formula you provided is for the logarithmic negativity, which is a more sensitive measure of entanglement. I hope this helps clarify the concepts for you.
munirah
Good day,

From my reading according to negativity for tripartite state, it is given as below;
$$N_{ABC}(\rho)=(N_{A-BC}N_{B-AC}N_{C-AB})^{1/3}$$

with

$$N_{I-JK}=-2\Sigma_i\sigma_i(\rho^{TI})$$
where
$$\sigma_i(\rho^{TI})$$
being the negative eigenvalues of
$$\rho^{TI}$$,
the partial transpose of $$
\rho
$$
with respect to subsystem $$I$$.

My problems:

1.I not understand how it works. I find the eigenvalues but the value of eigenvalues is positive.But it mention the eigenvalues are negative. For example. I calculate GHZ state and the eigenvalues are positive. What its mean actually?

2.It is same for $$
N_{A-BC}
$$ with another negativity formula given as below,
$$
N(\rho_A)=(Tr[\sigma_{A}^\dagger\sigma_{A}]^{1/2}-1)/2
$$

Please help me.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. The negativity for tripartite states is a measure of entanglement between three subsystems, A, B, and C. It is defined as the geometric mean of the negativity for each bipartite subsystem (A-BC, B-AC, and C-AB). The negativity for a bipartite subsystem is calculated by taking the negative eigenvalues of the partial transpose of the density matrix with respect to that subsystem. This means that the eigenvalues should be negative, not positive.

In the case of the GHZ state, the eigenvalues should indeed be positive. This is because the GHZ state is a maximally entangled state, meaning that it has a high degree of entanglement between all three subsystems. Therefore, the negativity for the GHZ state is zero, as there are no negative eigenvalues.

As for your second question, the formula for $$N_{A-BC}$$ in the second formula you provided is a different measure of entanglement called the logarithmic negativity. This measure is also based on the negative eigenvalues of the partial transpose, but it is calculated differently. The logarithmic negativity is a more sensitive measure of entanglement than the negativity for tripartite states, as it can detect entanglement even when the negativity is zero.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.Scientist at [Your Institution]

1. What is negativity measurement of a quantum state?

Negativity measurement is a way to quantify the entanglement or correlation between two subsystems in a quantum state. It measures the amount of entanglement between the two subsystems by considering the negative eigenvalues of the partially transposed density matrix.

2. How is negativity measured?

Negativity is measured by taking the partial transpose of the density matrix, finding its eigenvalues, and then summing the absolute value of the negative eigenvalues. This value is then divided by two to get the negativity measurement.

3. What is the significance of negativity measurement in quantum information theory?

Negativity measurement plays a crucial role in quantum information theory as it helps to quantify the amount of entanglement between two quantum systems. It is also used in various tasks such as quantum cryptography, quantum teleportation, and quantum error correction.

4. Can negativity measurement be used for all quantum states?

No, negativity measurement can only be applied to bipartite systems, i.e., systems with two subsystems. It cannot be used for multipartite systems, which have more than two subsystems.

5. Are there any limitations to using negativity measurement?

Yes, negativity measurement only provides a lower bound on the amount of entanglement between two subsystems. It does not give a complete picture of the entanglement in a quantum state. Also, it may not capture other forms of correlations that are not accounted for in the negativity measurement.