How to calculate Pauli matrix commutators

In summary, the conversation discusses the use and understanding of Pauli matrices and their commutators and anticommutators. The first line on the given link states that the commutator of two Pauli matrices yields a specific result involving the Levi-Civita symbol. The conversation also mentions the use of arbitrary matrices and suggests using the known Pauli matrices instead. It is also mentioned that the anti-commutator is similar to the commutator, and suggests plugging in different values to understand the pattern. The conversation ends with a hint about the non-zero value of the Levi-Civita symbol.
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to write down the Pauli matrices? Do you know what the commutator [A,B] and anticommutator {A,B} stand for? How about the Levi-Civita symbol [tex]\epsilon_{abc}[/tex]?

hey, I know how what Pauli matrices are, and I know [a, b], but I don't know {a, b}. I know Levi-Civita as well. I tried to do matrix multiplication [a,b]=a*b-b*a, but that did not lead me anywhere.

As matrices, I wrote down arbitrary values such as a=[a1,a2],[a3,a4] and b=[b1,b2],[b3,b4]

The anti-commutator is just {A,B} = AB+BA. I'm not sure why you're using arbitrary matrices when the [tex]\sigma_a[/tex] are the known Pauli matrices. Just compute [tex][\sigma_1,\sigma_2][/tex], etc. and you should see more progress.

Wait, so are you asking how to do the first line or the second?

What the first line tells you is that when you do the commutator of 2 pauli matrices, you should get [tex]2i\epsilon_{abc}\sigma_c[/tex].

What do you get when you find the commutator of [tex][\sigma_1 ,\sigma_2][/tex]? What does the right hand side tell you? I'll give you a hint, [tex]\epsilon_{12c}[/tex] is non-zero when c is equal to what?

For the anti-commutators, it's the same idea. You plug in various values for 'a' and 'b' and see what you get and see if the pattern you see corresponds to what the answer should be.

1. What is a Pauli matrix commutator?

A Pauli matrix commutator is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to calculate the difference between two operators. It is defined as the product of two operators, one of which is the transpose of the other, minus the product of the operators in their original order.

2. How do I calculate a Pauli matrix commutator?

To calculate a Pauli matrix commutator, you need to first determine the matrices you are working with. Then, you can use the formula [A,B] = AB - BA, where A and B are the two matrices. Alternatively, you can use the Pauli matrix commutator table to find the result.

3. What is the significance of Pauli matrix commutators?

Pauli matrix commutators are important in quantum mechanics because they help us understand the relationship between different physical quantities. They also play a crucial role in determining the uncertainty principle and in the study of quantum entanglement.

4. Can Pauli matrix commutators be calculated for any type of matrix?

No, Pauli matrix commutators can only be calculated for certain types of matrices, specifically for 2x2 complex matrices. These matrices must also be Hermitian, meaning they are equal to their own conjugate transpose.

5. What are some applications of Pauli matrix commutators?

Pauli matrix commutators have various applications in quantum mechanics, including in the calculation of energy levels and in determining the probability of a particle's spin state. They are also used in the study of quantum information and computing.