Calculating the Determinant of a 2x2 Matrix with Pauli Matrices

In summary, we are asked to show that det\left(x^\mu \sigma_\mu\right) = x^\mu x_\mu, where x^\mu is a vector and \sigma_\mu is a 2x2 matrix with \sigma_0 as the identity matrix and \sigma_i as the Pauli matrices. We can do this by explicitly writing out X and evaluating its determinant, which gives us the desired result. Alternatively, we can use the property det(cA)=c^{n}(detA) to simplify the calculation and obtain the same result.
smallgirl
1. Consider the 2x2 matrix [tex]\sigma^{\mu}=(1,\sigma_{i})[/tex] where [tex]\sigma^{\mu}=(1,\sigma)
[/tex] where 1 is the identity matrix and [tex]\sigma_{i}[/tex] the pauli matrices. Show with a direct calcuation that [tex]detX=x^{\mu}x_{\mu}[/tex]

3. I'm not sure how to attempt this at all...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're missing a part out, where we define how the big X is related to the little x's
As a hint, how would you normally go about finding the determinant of a 2x2 matrix?

Well usually ab - cd assuming a, b are elements in the first row..

However not sure what to do next...

Write down [itex]X[/itex] explicitly and then calculate its determinant by just doing the algebraic manipulations. It's nothing deep in this calculation, but its result is very important for the description of spin-1/2-particles in relativistic quantum theory!

Well I don't know what x is therefore I don't know how to write X, and I'm not sure how sigma would change to x

Isn't [itex]X[/itex] given as [itex]X = x^\mu \sigma_\mu[/itex]?

Yes...

For an [itex]n \times n[/itex] matrix [itex]A[/itex] and a number [itex]a[/itex], what is [itex]det \left(aA\right)[/itex] in terms of [itex]detA[/itex]?

[tex]det(cA)=c^{n}(detA)
[/tex]

smallgirl said:
[tex]det(cA)=c^{n}(detA)
[/tex]

So [itex]det \left(x^\mu \sigma_\mu\right) = [/itex] ?

Well,you need to write it as the product of four vectors,use the explicit form of σ matrices,and calculate the determinant of resulting 2×2 matrix.Got it.you will find it's use in showing the relation SO(3,1)=SL(2,C)/Z2.

Well from George's previous post, I had realized the conclusion beforehand, however I'm not sure how that will result in the answer I need.. but I guess if I follow andrien it should fall out?

Each [itex]x^\mu[/itex] is a number and each [itex]\sigma_\mu[/itex] is a number. As an intermediate step, apply
smallgirl said:
[tex]det(cA)=c^{n}(detA)
[/tex]

to [itex]det \left(x^\mu \sigma_\mu\right)[/itex]. What do you get?

No! [itex]\sigma_{\mu}[/itex] are complex [itex]2 \times 2[/itex] matrices, namely
[tex]\sigma_0=\mathbb{1}[/tex] and [itex]\sigma_{j}[/itex] ([itex]j \in \{1,2,3 \}[/itex]) the three Pauli matrices. This means that in standard representation of the Pauli matrices with [itex]\sigma_3[/itex] diagonalized you have
[tex]X=x^{\mu} \sigma_{\mu}=x^0 \mathbb{1} + \vec{x} \cdot \vec{\sigma}=\begin{pmatrix}
x^0+x^3 & x^1-\mathrm{i} x^2 \\
x^1 + \mathrm{i} x^2 & x^0-x^3
\end{pmatrix}.
[/tex]
Now evaluate its determinant!

George Jones said:
each [itex]\sigma_\mu[/itex] is a number.

vanhees71 said:
No!

Oops! The above was a slip of my fingers while typing. Obviously, each [itex]\sigma_\mu[/itex] is a matrix, and this what I meant to type.

sweeet! I see it now, I had the error of not including x^0 when writing out X which was why I couldn't solve the problem. Thank you!

Now that you see it using the explicit matrix given by vahees71, I will write out the method at which I hinted.

[tex]det\left( x^\mu \sigma_\mu \right) = \left( x^\mu \right)^2 det \sigma_\mu = \left( x^0 \right)^2 - \left( x^1 \right)^2 - \left( x^2 \right)^2 - \left( x^3 \right)^2 ,[/tex]

since [itex]det\sigma_0 = 1[/itex] and [itex]det\sigma_i = -1[/itex] for each [itex]i[/itex].

I think it is important to see the calculation done both ways, i.e., summing before taking the determinant and summing after taking determinants.

yeah I noticed that the det for sigma(i) was -1, but I didn't know what the determinant for sigma(0) was, so I guess I wasn't able to put everything together...as I wasn't sure how to include sigma(0)

But [itex]\sigma_0[/itex] is just the identity matrix ...

Related to Calculating the Determinant of a 2x2 Matrix with Pauli Matrices

1. What are Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are a set of three 2x2 matrices named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli. They are used in quantum mechanics and are denoted as sigma x, sigma y, and sigma z.

2. How do you calculate the determinant of a 2x2 matrix with Pauli matrices?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix with Pauli matrices can be calculated by using the formula: det(A) = a*d - b*c, where a, b, c, and d are the elements of the matrix. This is similar to calculating the determinant of any 2x2 matrix.

3. Why are Pauli matrices used in quantum mechanics?

Pauli matrices are used in quantum mechanics because they represent fundamental physical quantities such as spin and angular momentum. They also have important properties that make them useful in calculations and predictions in quantum mechanics.

4. Can the determinant of a 2x2 matrix with Pauli matrices be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a 2x2 matrix with Pauli matrices can be negative. The determinant is a real number and can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the values of the elements of the matrix.

5. What is the significance of the determinant of a 2x2 matrix with Pauli matrices?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix with Pauli matrices is significant in quantum mechanics as it can provide information about the properties of a quantum system, such as its energy and angular momentum. It is also used in calculations for quantum mechanics equations and can help predict the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.