How to Calculate Pressure Exerted by an Engine in a Vacuum?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Space259
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello all,

How would I calculate the pressure exerted on a surface by an engine in a vacuum, for example, if a lander was landing on Mars, I'm trying to calculate the pressure exerted on the surface by the exhaust. Should I simply be looking at P=F/A or should I be looking at dynamic pressure?

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For pressure exerted on a surface by a moving fluid perpendicular to it, the static pressure is equal to the velocity pressure, and p=f/a applies.
 
Last edited:
Hi Russ,

Thanks for your reply, so where does the dynamic pressure come into it? If you were to calculate the Dynamic Pressure what would you be calculating?
 
total pressure = P_hyd + P_stat + 1/2 * Rho * V^2
(V is bulk velocity)