How to calculate rank of 2 by 1 matrix..?

1. how to calculate rank of 2 by 1 matrix..??

hey guys so i am well familiar with finding out rank of square matrices but if matrix is just a row or column vector then how to determine its rank..considering the example below:
    a=[x1
    x2
    x3]
    where is column matrix while x1,x2,x3 are elements of this matrix..!!

2. jcsd
  3. mfb

Staff: Mentor

Re: how to calculate rank of 2 by 1 matrix..??

Can you find the column rank (the number of independent columns)?
    This is the same as the rank of the matrix.

4. Re: how to calculate rank of 2 by 1 matrix..??

hi there
    infact i am quite asking about how to calculate the rank of a column or row matrix..??
    and here i have just taken the example of row matrix..but i would also like to know about determining rank of a column matrix..!!

5. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,386
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any "n by 1" or "1 by n" matrix has rank "n".

6. mfb

And I posted a hint.

It has rank 1, if at least one entry is non-zero, and 0 otherwise. But never n, unless n=1.

7. Re: how to calculate rank of 2 by 1 matrix..??

ok..but here you have mentioned about column rank...but i am asking here is a different thing..i am asking about how to find the rank of column matrix or column vector i should say..!!

8. mfb

It is not a different thing.
    Can you find the column rank of a column matrix? It is easy, and the answer was already posted here. The same applies to a row matrix and the row rank.

9. Re: how to calculate rank of 2 by 1 matrix..??

ok so can i say that any n by 1 or 1 by n matrix has rank of 1 ..!!
    but what if the independent rows or row vectors and columns or column vectors have value more than 1 like i have an example as:-
    x1=(1,3,4,2)
    x2=(3,-5,2,2)
    x3=(2,-1,3,2)
    so here i have three vetors x1,x2,x3 out of which two are independent x1,x2 while x3 is dependent as x3=(x1+x2)/2;
    and they all form a column matrix of 3 by 1 as
    A=[ x1
    x2
    x3 ]
    now acc to rule n by 1 and 1 by n we have rank 1 but checking independent rows as 2
    so what should be rank 1 or 2..??

10. mfb

2. I don't see any reason why you would expect 1. It is a 3x4-matrix, this is neither nx1 nor 1xn.

11. Re: how to calculate rank of 2 by 1 matrix..??

now i am feeling stupid..!! i have been looking all along in terms of an individual vectors and not in terms of components ..!!
    thanks..:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?