How to calculate the order of an infinitesimal

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter NBagley119
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinitesimal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
NBagley119
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
I know how to find out if an infinitesimal delta is of the first order (if delta*y/delta*x=dy/dx+epsilon is approximately equal to (dy/dx)*delta*x, but how do you find out if an infinitesimal is of second order or higher and how do you find out what that order is?

Note: I will update this question with typesetting once I figure out how to use LaTeX.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The order of an 'infinitesimal' is always relative.
 
Eynstone said:
The order of an 'infinitesimal' is always relative.

Relative to what? And how do you find the order?
 
I know how to find out if an infinitesimal delta is of the first order (if [itex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]+[itex]\epsilon\approx[/itex][itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]x, but how do you find out if an infinitesimal is of second order or higher and how do you find out what that order is?