How to calculate the order of an infinitesimal

In summary, determining the order of an infinitesimal is always relative. To find the order, you can use the equation \frac{\delta y}{\delta x}=\frac{dy}{dx}+\epsilon\approx\frac{dy}{dx}\deltax for first order, but for higher orders, it is necessary to use other methods to determine the order and its value.
NBagley119
I know how to find out if an infinitesimal delta is of the first order (if delta*y/delta*x=dy/dx+epsilon is approximately equal to (dy/dx)*delta*x, but how do you find out if an infinitesimal is of second order or higher and how do you find out what that order is?

Note: I will update this question with typesetting once I figure out how to use LaTeX.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The order of an 'infinitesimal' is always relative.

Eynstone said:
The order of an 'infinitesimal' is always relative.

Relative to what? And how do you find the order?

I know how to find out if an infinitesimal delta is of the first order (if [itex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]+[itex]\epsilon\approx[/itex][itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]x, but how do you find out if an infinitesimal is of second order or higher and how do you find out what that order is?

1. How do I calculate the order of an infinitesimal?

The order of an infinitesimal is determined by the power of the variable that approaches zero as the limit of the function. In other words, it is the exponent of the smallest term in the infinitesimal expression.

2. What is the significance of calculating the order of an infinitesimal?

The order of an infinitesimal is important because it tells us how fast a function approaches zero as the input variable approaches a certain value. It helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point.

3. Can the order of an infinitesimal be negative?

No, the order of an infinitesimal can only be a positive integer or zero. This is because as the input variable approaches zero, the function must approach zero at a faster rate, meaning the exponent must be a positive number.

4. How do I determine the order of an infinitesimal in a multivariable function?

In a multivariable function, the order of an infinitesimal is determined by the sum of the exponents of the infinitesimal terms in each variable. For example, if a function has two infinitesimal terms, one with an exponent of 2 in x and one with an exponent of 3 in y, the order would be 2+3=5.

5. Are there any shortcuts or rules for calculating the order of an infinitesimal?

Yes, there are a few rules that can help determine the order of an infinitesimal. For example, if the function is a polynomial, the order is equal to the degree of the polynomial. Additionally, if the function is a rational function, the order is equal to the difference between the highest exponent in the numerator and the highest exponent in the denominator. However, these rules may not apply to all functions, so it's important to understand the concept behind calculating the order of an infinitesimal.