How to calculate the reluctance of an electromagnet

How do you calculate the reluctance of An electromagnet that consist of a nail with bare copper wire wrapped around it? I have tried searching on the internet. Have not found a website that answers my question. Not wikipedia or any other website.

berkeman

Mentor
Do you mean impedance? Why do you want to calculate reluctance? What are you wanting to do?

I want to be able to calculate strength of magnetic field. So how do I calculate
The magnetic reluctance of an electromagnet?

A nail with bare copper wire wrapped around it does not make a electromagnet! The bare copper is a short circuit and does not really act to magnetise the iron. Reread google etc on how to make a electromagnet, then decide what it is you want to calculate.

I Put layers of insulation between the layers of copper. And I have tried this and it works.

Insulation between the layers of copper wire? Anyone who wants to make a real electromagnet would use INSULATED copper wire. Do you not have access to such. Makes for a much better electromagnet! Now have you decided what you want to calculate? There are formulas to calculate the IMPEDANCE depending on the various factors such as size, iron, number of turns etc. The RELUCTANCE is a factor of the type of iron used and a bit harder to establish.
Of course if you are using DC current IMPEDANCE is not an issue just the RESISTANCE of the coil.