1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the resistance of a lap wound armature?

1. Jul 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 4 pole lap wound armature has 16 coils, each with a resistance of 0.1 ohms. Calculate the resistance of the armature?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hi there fellow members,

I'm currently doing a section of my course which deals with Electrical machines. The lesson that I am on at the moment is dealing with Armature windings ( lap and wave ).

There are two diagrams in the lesson but they are confusing.

One leads me to think that the total resistance would be 16*.01 ='s 1.6 ohms

The other one leads me to think that there are 4 parallel paths. 4*4 = 16

4*0.1=0.4 so total resistance is

1/R = (1/0.4)*4

R = 1/10

R = 0.1 ohms

With the fact that it's a question being asked I would think that the 1.6 is a bit straight forward so I'm leaning towards the 0.1 ohms answer.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Neil

P.S Thanks for taking the time to read the question!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2017 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

That's correct.

4. Jul 25, 2017 #3
    Thanks cnh1995 :)

Do you mind if I ask why we have 4 parallel paths? Is this standard for a 4 pole lap wound armature? Having the answer is good but understanding why is the best thing and my lesson notes are fairly unclear, to say the least!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted