Need help finding total resistance in a circuit.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the total resistance of a complex circuit and seeking tips and tricks for simplifying ladder-type circuits. The circuit in question has parallel and series connections, and the individual resistances are given. The poster has correctly identified the total resistance for the second circuit, but is unsure about the first circuit and asks for help in identifying parallelization opportunities.
maoyuusha

Homework Statement

We need to find the total resistance of this circuit but I'm not sure whether the circuit will shorten or not.
(I don't even have any idea on where I should start cause it looks so different from the other ones.)
fc3312cbbd8a45bea3dc91e6d7bc96e1.png

Can someone also give me tips and tricks in simplifying ladder type of circuits because I'm having problems when the circuits are not simple looking .
KhanAcademy only shows me how to solve simple looking circuits unlike this one.
139d06e1c12e4f7f9bd3496aff54cac9.png

For the pic ^ is the total resistance 2 ohms?

Every 3 resistors (Parallel) = 2 ohms
Upper left & Lower left (Series) = 4 ohms
Upper right & Lower Right (Series) = 4 ohms
Left & Right (Parallel) = 2 ohms

Homework Equations

(SERIES) R(T) = R(1) + R(2) + R(3) ... R(N)
(PARALLEL) R(T) = 1/ [(1/R(1)) + (1/R(2)) + ... (1/R(N)) ]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi maoyuusha,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Please post only one circuit problem per thread (all homework problems should be given separate threads) and use the provided formatting template to organize your posts. The Attempt at solution section is mandatory, and your thoughts and efforts to solve the problem should be shown there, not scattered around the problem statement and elsewhere. This is for the benefit of our Homework Helpers so that they can more easily address your questions in a timely fashion. It's to your benefit to make it easier for helpers to help you.

Now, on to your questions:

Your analysis of the second circuit looks fine and you've arrived at a correct result.

For the first circuit, go back to the definition of parallel connection and see if you can spot any parallelization opportunities. Sometimes it can help to use different colored highlighters to color the individual nodes, that way you can quickly spot components that share the same pair of nodes since they connect to the same pair of colors.

1. How do I calculate total resistance in a circuit?

To calculate total resistance in a circuit, you need to add up all the individual resistances in the circuit. This can be done using Ohm's Law (R = V/I) or by using the formula for resistors in series (R = R1 + R2 + R3...).

2. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms, which is represented by the Greek letter omega (Ω).

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate total resistance in both series and parallel circuits?

No, the formulas for calculating total resistance in series and parallel circuits are different. In a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of all the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, it is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of all the individual resistances.

4. Can I use resistors with different values in a circuit?

Yes, you can use resistors with different values in a circuit. In a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is affected by the value of each individual resistor.

5. How does temperature affect the resistance in a circuit?

The resistance in a circuit can be affected by temperature. As temperature increases, the resistance of most materials also increases. This is due to the atoms in the material moving faster, which causes more collisions and increases resistance. However, some materials, such as semiconductors, have a decrease in resistance with an increase in temperature.