1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help finding total resistance in a circuit.

1. Feb 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We need to find the total resistance of this circuit but I'm not sure whether the circuit will shorten or not.
    (I don't even have any idea on where I should start cause it looks so different from the other ones.)
    fc3312cbbd8a45bea3dc91e6d7bc96e1.png
    Can someone also give me tips and tricks in simplifying ladder type of circuits because I'm having problems when the circuits are not simple looking .
    KhanAcademy only shows me how to solve simple looking circuits unlike this one.
    139d06e1c12e4f7f9bd3496aff54cac9.png
    For the pic ^ is the total resistance 2 ohms?

Every 3 resistors (Parallel) = 2 ohms
    Upper left & Lower left (Series) = 4 ohms
    Upper right & Lower Right (Series) = 4 ohms
    Left & Right (Parallel) = 2 ohms
    2. Relevant equations
    (SERIES) R(T) = R(1) + R(2) + R(3) ..... R(N)
    (PARALLEL) R(T) = 1/ [(1/R(1)) + (1/R(2)) + ..... (1/R(N)) ]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi maoyuusha,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Please post only one circuit problem per thread (all homework problems should be given separate threads) and use the provided formatting template to organize your posts. The Attempt at solution section is mandatory, and your thoughts and efforts to solve the problem should be shown there, not scattered around the problem statement and elsewhere. This is for the benefit of our Homework Helpers so that they can more easily address your questions in a timely fashion. It's to your benefit to make it easier for helpers to help you.

Now, on to your questions:

Your analysis of the second circuit looks fine and you've arrived at a correct result.

For the first circuit, go back to the definition of parallel connection and see if you can spot any parallelization opportunities. Sometimes it can help to use different colored highlighters to color the individual nodes, that way you can quickly spot components that share the same pair of nodes since they connect to the same pair of colors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted