How to calculate the resonant florescent spectrum of 2-level

Your Name]In summary, to calculate the spectrum of a coherent laser field interacting with 2-level atoms, you will need to use the quantum regression theorem. This theorem allows you to calculate the expectation value of the lower operator of the atom at two different times by using the time evolution of the operator. To use this theorem in MATLAB, you will need to define your density matrix, time evolution operator, and the lower operator of the atom as matrices and use the "trace" function to calculate the expectation value. This can then be used to calculate the spectrum using the Fourier transform.
zzihuai
I am working on calculating the interaction between 2-level atoms and an coherent laser field. I can calculate the radiation intensity versus time from the atoms. I want to calculate the spectrum now. I know the spectrum can be calculated as the Fourier transform of ⟨$\langle \sigma^\dagger (t)\sigma (t+\tau)\rangle $,where σ(t)=|0><1| is the lower operator of the atom. I am not sure how to calculate the expectation value containing 2 different time. I heard that it is possible to do so by using the quantum regression theorem. But I don't really understand it, could someone tell me how to use quantum regression theorem using computer explicitly? I am using MATLAB and treating the operators as matrix. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question regarding calculating the spectrum of a coherent laser field interacting with 2-level atoms. You are correct in your understanding that the spectrum can be calculated using the Fourier transform of the expectation value of the lower operator of the atom at two different times. To do this, you will need to use the quantum regression theorem.

The quantum regression theorem is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics that allows us to calculate the time evolution of an operator by using the time evolution of its expectation value. In your case, you will need to use the following formula:

⟨$\langle \sigma^\dagger (t)\sigma (t+\tau)\rangle $ = Tr{ρ(t)U(t)σ†U(t+τ)σ}

Where ρ(t) is the density matrix at time t, U(t) is the time evolution operator, and σ is the operator of interest. In your case, you will need to replace σ with the lower operator of the atom, σ(t) = |0><1|.

To use this formula in MATLAB, you will need to first define your density matrix, time evolution operator, and the lower operator of the atom as matrices. Then, you can use the "trace" function in MATLAB to calculate the trace of the product of these matrices, which will give you the expectation value at two different times. You can then use this expectation value to calculate the spectrum using the Fourier transform.

I hope this helps you in your calculations. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your research!

What is the definition of a resonant fluorescent spectrum?

A resonant fluorescent spectrum refers to the specific wavelengths of light that are emitted when an atom or molecule undergoes a transition between two energy levels. This spectrum can be calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics and spectroscopy.

What are the two energy levels involved in calculating a resonant fluorescent spectrum?

The two energy levels involved are the ground state and the excited state. The ground state is the lowest energy level that an atom or molecule can occupy, while the excited state is a higher energy level that the atom or molecule can transition to.

How is the resonant fluorescent spectrum calculated?

The resonant fluorescent spectrum is calculated by finding the difference in energy between the ground and excited states, and then using this energy difference to determine the corresponding wavelength of light using the equation E = hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.

What factors can affect the resonant fluorescent spectrum?

There are several factors that can affect the resonant fluorescent spectrum, including the type of atom or molecule, the presence of external electric or magnetic fields, and the temperature and pressure of the environment. These factors can cause slight variations in the energy levels and therefore impact the resulting spectrum.

Why is calculating the resonant fluorescent spectrum important?

Calculating the resonant fluorescent spectrum is important because it allows scientists to identify and study the specific energy levels and transitions of atoms and molecules. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of matter, and can also be applied in various fields such as medicine, materials science, and environmental science.