How to calculate the wattage needed

In summary, the glass will be heated to keep it from freezing. The ambient air temperature on both sides of the glass will be approximately 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
Scott Sperbeck
I have a project in which a client is wanting an outside glass deck floor to be heated to keep from freezing. Below the floor is ambient temperatures. The glass is 1.25 ( 3 layers of 3/8" with a /060 inter-layer between each lite of glass) thick each panel is 30" x 60". I don't want to overpower the units as if we can get away without a control unit it would be much easier as there is over 30 panels. Also we want to watch the total amperage draw.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Scott Sperbeck said:
I have a project in which a client is wanting an outside glass deck floor to be heated to keep from freezing. Below the floor is ambient temperatures. The glass is 1.25 ( 3 layers of 3/8" with a /060 inter-layer between each lite of glass) thick each panel is 30" x 60". I don't want to overpower the units as if we can get away without a control unit it would be much easier as there is over 30 panels. Also we want to watch the total amperage draw.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Glass is generally a thermal insulator. How do you propose to heat it?

The same we make electrically heated windows, ITO.

Scott Sperbeck said:
The same we make electrically heated windows, ITO.
Yes, looking at your website I see it's commonly done. You'll put the ITO between each of the 3 glass layers in this project? You said the air below the deck is ambient temperature, but the deck is also outdoors? What will the ambient temperature be in the space above the deck? Whatever it is heated to by the floor panels? Are the sides of the deck open to ambient too, or is there some sort of siding?

"Ambient?" Where?

Just received updated information. The glass floor will now be enclosed both above and below the floor. They are looking just to keep the glass warm in the winter months. Is there a calculation that can be used?

Scott Sperbeck said:
Just received updated information. The glass floor will now be enclosed both above and below the floor. They are looking just to keep the glass warm in the winter months. Is there a calculation that can be used?
If the floor is now enclosed, why is it glass? Sorry, I'm not tracking what you're saying very well.

If it's just a heated floor, you would look at air exchange for the room and insulation for the walls and floor...

Originally, the floor was part of an outdoor balcony. It is now an indoor room with an indoor room below, thus the meaning "enclosed". I'm looking for the calculation to know how warm the glass will get. The known parameters are: Glass: 3 layers of laminated 3/8" with .060" interlayers for a thickness of 1.25". The glass is coated with ITO and has a sheet resistance of 15 ohms. Glass size is 30" x 60" total weight is 190 lbs. The ambient air temperature on both sides of the glass will be approximately 70 degrees f.

1. What is wattage and why is it important to calculate it?

Wattage is a unit of measurement for the rate of energy transfer or power. It is important to calculate wattage in order to determine the amount of power needed for a specific task or device. This can help ensure that the correct amount of energy is being used and can also help with efficiency and cost savings.

2. How do I calculate the wattage needed for a device or appliance?

To calculate wattage, you will need to know the voltage and amperage of the device or appliance. Multiply the voltage by the amperage to get the wattage. For example, if a device operates at 120 volts and 5 amps, the wattage would be 120 x 5 = 600 watts.

3. Do I need to consider the wattage of all the devices in a circuit?

Yes, when calculating the wattage needed for a circuit, you should consider the wattage of all the devices connected to it. This will help ensure that the circuit can handle the total wattage and prevent overloading and potential hazards.

4. How does wattage affect electricity usage and cost?

Wattage directly affects electricity usage and cost. The higher the wattage of a device, the more energy it will consume and the higher the cost will be. It is important to consider wattage when purchasing new appliances or devices to ensure they are energy efficient and will not significantly increase electricity costs.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help calculate wattage?

Yes, there are many online wattage calculators and tools available that can help you determine the wattage needed for a specific device or circuit. You can also consult an electrician for assistance in calculating wattage for more complex systems.