How to calculate this function?

• Thread starter iver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation involves discussing the interpretation of cos(d/dx)f(x) and its relation to dx's Taylor series. The two interpretations suggested are different and the OP mentions that the term comes from Mathieu's equation.
iver
I have a queation as below

[cos(d/dx)]f(x)

How to solve it? I just konw that the angle is an operator, but the function of x is out of the cosine function.

Physics news on Phys.org
They probably mean

[tex] \cos ({d/dx}) = 1 - \frac{1}{2!}\frac{d^2}{dx^2} + \frac{1}{4!}\frac{d^4}{dx^4} - ... [/tex]

Just as I would interpret f(g)(x) to mean f(g(x)), I would interpret cos(d/dx)f(x) to mean cos(df/dx). That would, I believe, give the same thing as dx's Taylor's series interpretation.

The two suggestions are different. Because the OP says the answer is an operator probably the interpretation of dx is the intended one.

Let's see why they are different. Try the example [tex]f(x) = x^2[/tex] so that [tex]f'(x) = 2x[/tex] and [tex]f''(x) = 2[/tex], and all higher derivatives are zero.

Then under the dx method, we get

[tex]
f(x) - \frac{1}{2!}\;f''(x) = x^2 - 1
[/tex]

but under the HallsOfIvy method, we get

[tex]
\sin(f'(x)) = \sin(2x)
[/tex]

Not the same.

Thx~~

But, this term comes from the Mathieu’s equation as below

[tex]
\frac{d^{2}f\left(x\right)}{dx^{2}}+\left(\epsilon-\cos\frac{d}{dx}\right)f\left(x\right)=0
[/tex]

If I use series, this equation would be so terrible

1. How do I calculate a function?

To calculate a function, you need to plug in values for the input variables and follow the order of operations to solve for the output. This can be done by hand using a calculator or through computer software.

2. What is the formula for calculating a function?

The formula for calculating a function depends on the specific function you are working with. Some common formulas include linear, quadratic, and exponential functions. It's important to know the formula for the function you are trying to calculate.

3. How do I find the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all input values that the function can accept. To find the domain, you need to look at the restrictions on the input variables. The range of a function is the set of all output values that the function can produce. To find the range, you need to evaluate the function for different input values and observe the corresponding output values.

4. Can I use a graph to calculate a function?

Yes, a graph can be a useful tool to calculate a function. By plotting the points on a graph, you can see the relationship between the input and output values and make predictions for values that are not explicitly given.

5. How do I check if my calculated function is correct?

To check if your calculated function is correct, you can plug in different input values and compare the output values to the given function. You can also use mathematical properties such as symmetry or inverse functions to verify your results.