How to Calculate Time and Displacement for a Ballistic Cart Launch

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
lulusmith
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I've tried to figure this out but I just can't! Please help me understand how to work it out?

A ballistic cart is a wheeled cart that can launch a ball in a direction perpendicular to the way the cart moves and can then catch the ball again if it falls back down on the cart. Holding the cart stationary on a horizontal track, you confirm that the ball does indeed land in the cart after it is launched. Let’s say that the cart launches the ball with an initial velocity of 5.50 m/s up relative to the cart while the cart is rolling with a constant velocity of 7.00 m/s to the right. Using g = 10.0 m/s2, and neglecting air resistance, determine

(a) the time it takes the ball to return to the height from which it was launched.

(b) the magnitude of the displacement of the cart during this time.

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
part (a) is simply the total time of flight, i.e find the time until max height and then double it for the full trajectory. Part (b) is just the range of the ball, for the cart the catch it, it needs to travel the same distance as the ball has

hope this helps
 
Can't believe I couldn't do it before, I think I was just over thinking it.
Thank you! :D
 
lulusmith said:
Can't believe I couldn't do it before, I think I was just over thinking it.
Thank you! :D

no worries at all :)