What should I consider when choosing a university?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Grands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary: EnglishIn summary, a new user from Italy is seeking advice on choosing a university. They have doubts about sharing personal information on the forum and are wondering if it could potentially be traced back to them. The user is interested in discussing their interests and financial situation, but not personal details. They also ask for recommendations on Italian universities, particularly for mathematics and physics, and mention Pisa as a potential option.
Grands
Hi guys, I'm new in the forum, and I'm from Italy.
I hope you will understand my english.
I'm opening this thread because actually I have difficulties in choosing my university.

Actually I'm at the last year of the high school, based on Science, it's called "Liceo Scientifico", you can Google it if you want more informations.

Anyway, this year I have to choose university and I have doubts about what to do.

Can I make questions on this forum and describe my situation in order to obtain some advices ?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Grands said:
I'm opening this thread because actually I have difficulties in choosing my university.

Actually I'm at the last year of the high school, based on Science, it's called "Liceo Scientifico", you can Google it if you want more informations.

Anyway, this year I have to choose university and I have doubts about what to do.

Can I make questions on this forum and describe my situation in order to obtain some advices ?

Thanks for the help.
Yes, but make sure the discussion can't be used to track you. It might be read in the future and you cannot be sure that you still want it to be known then. And I don't know if we have any expertise regarding Italian universities, so you might want to describe them if necessary.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, but make sure the discussion can't be used to track you. It might be read in the future and you cannot be sure that you still want it to be known then. And I don't know if we have any expertise regarding Italian universities, so you might want to describe them if necessary.
Hi, what do you mean with " be tracked"?
Do you think that there are examples of people that wrote about their life on a forum and now they regret that?
If yes, how can I avoid this problem?

Thanks.

Grands said:
Hi, what do you mean with " be tracked"?
Do you think that there are examples of people that wrote about their life on a forum and now they regret that?
If yes, how can I avoid this problem?

Thanks.
There are. And if we recognize it in time we advise them to avoid personal information. Some people post under their real names and describe things which they regret afterwards, e.g. disabilities or bad grades. You can avoid this, if you keep it general. As we don't know your specific situation - and won't even if you describe details - you can only expect general recommendations anyway. Which universities are in the selection? E.g. if you live in Milan you probably don't want to move to Palermo.

fresh_42 said:
There are. And if we recognize it in time we advise them to avoid personal information. Some people post under their real names and describe things which they regret afterwards, e.g. disabilities or bad grades. You can avoid this, if you keep it general. As we don't know your specific situation - and won't even if you describe details - you can only expect general recommendations anyway. Which universities are in the selection? E.g. if you live in Milan you probably don't want to move to Palermo.

Thanks for this information, but it's still strange for me to read this.
Do you refer to the fact that when a person search for a Job, the "Boss" can find information about that person.
Anyway, it is not my interest to give my personal details, when I said speaking about my personal situation I intended to say that I want to talk about what I like to do and which are my economical possibilities, could be this something wrong?

I don't know how it is seen Italy and italian universities from outside and could be an interesting experience to talk about this argument.
I noticed that you already know that Italy is not the same everywhere there are good cities like Milan, and bad ones like Palermo.

Without any further information, I would say that for mathematics and physics, Pisa is still a first address among European universities. But this is more of a biased gut feeling, because many of the papers with Italian authors I have seen, have been from Pisa.

fresh_42 said:
Without any further information, I would say that for mathematics and physics, Pisa is still a first address among European universities. But this is more of a biased gut feeling, because many of the papers with Italian authors I have seen, have been from Pisa.
Do you refer to the "University of Pisa" or to the " scuola normale di pisa" or to the " scuola superiore san't Anna di Pisa" ?

Grands said:
Do you refer to the "University of Pisa" or to the " scuola normale di pisa" or to the " scuola superiore san't Anna di Pisa" ?
This is one of the things I don't know, since Pisa as the home of the authors is all I remember. But I would guess that they have different emphasis: natural sciences, economy, art. It's probably easier for you to figure out which reputation they have than for me to guess.

fresh_42 said:
This is one of the things I don't know, since Pisa as the home of the authors is all I remember. But I would guess that they have different emphasis: natural sciences, economy, art. It's probably easier for you to figure out which reputation they have than for me to guess.
The " Normale of Pisa" has the biggest reputation but is very hard to get into, every year at the course of physics are admitted only 10 people.
A friend of mine study math there, and he is a genius, he never studied math and he was always good at it.

I think you can't do anything wrong with one of the big cities like Milan or Rome instead and which are likely easier to get to. Personally I find Firence more beautiful and with the better climate, but I don't know anything about their universities. Maybe we have some Italian members here who read this thread.

Grands said:

Thanks for the help.

Universita di Siena?

ISamson said:
Universita di Siena?
What do you mean with Università di Siena?

Generally speaking, how I said before I study at "Liceo Scientifico" that is a high school of Humanities, we study math, physics, chemistry, biology, philosophy, history, art, italian and english literature, and students are supposed to be good at everything.

The main problem is that I don't know what I like to study most, because I always studied everything and, I like almost everything.
I appreciate philosophy, history, art, and literature because they gave me the possibility to interpretate how the society and the world work.
I like this subjects because by studying them I can understand so many thing about society and understand why something is happening or happened.

At the same time I really enjoy math, physics and chemistry because this subjects describe nature in a so precise and meticulous way that is unique.
I can understand how nature is, how it works, which are the materials that compose it.

Anyway, in the last period I start to be interested to have some doubt about studying a theoretical subject and not a technical one, I started to think that in my life, one day, I would like to create something that works, and that is innovative.
So, very soon, I was impressed by what is a start-up, being amazed but what people like Musk or Page did, and i started to get information also by people that made his own little business after finishing the university.

So, if in the first period I was interested in studying subjects like physics, or math, doing research, I realized that I can use my mind to study engineering, and having the possibility to take part in projects or maybe, having my own company.

When I start to get information about engineering I realized that the field of engineering that I'm more interested in, is computer engineering, even if I'm not 100%.

My main problem is that we don't study at high school computer science, we don't learned about how to code, and honest to be, I don't like if I will like it.
I do some work on my own, little thing, I started to study HTML, but this doesn't resolves my doubts about what to study.
I went also some days to the computer engineers course at one university, hoping that I will see something that will help me to make the choice, but it didn't happened, since was only the first lesson, and teachers didn't make important lessons.

Besides this, there is another issue, where to study?
I always study very well at school, and I found in the activity of studying a satisfaction.
I always want to know everything, cause I'm always curious about almost everything, probably the only subjects that I won't like to study is law.
What I want to say is that I want to choose a good university, not only for the preparation that can gives to me, but also for the importance that this one has upon the society.
Unfortunately, even if italian universities are very cheap, and I don't have to pay taxes for the low income of my parents, it is still expensive, especially cities like Florence ( the most expensive), Milan and Rome, because I have to pay for the food, services and for the rent.

I forgot to say that in Italy we have big problem with the research, because researchers has very low salary or doesn't have it at all, and it's those ones who have a salary, live in a temporary situation, it's always a shot time contract.
In the best case they have something like 800 euros, that and for Italy are very few money, because life is expensive, and to survive a person need at least 1000 euros.

I mean that that uni is a good one.

ISamson said:
I mean that that uni is a good one.
How do you know this?
And good in with kind of courses?
I'm just curious.

Generally speaking, I recommend the best school you can graduate from debt free.

"Debt free" is much more important than best, and best depends somewhat on your goals and geographical constraints.

Dr. Courtney said:
Generally speaking, I recommend the best school you can graduate from debt free.

"Debt free" is much more important than best, and best depends somewhat on your goals and geographical constraints.

In italy we have a different way to think, is far different from UK or USA referring to the debt.
I our country no one ask money from bank to study, and banks aren't aware of the possibility of giving money to students, the most expensive tuition fees is about 2000 euro per year, the only exception in Italy are private universities like Bocconi in Milan or Luiss in Rome, that have very expensive tuition fees, like 5000 euros per year ( it's expensive for Italy).
Usually students tend to work while studying to paid for food and rent, but most of them can't finish in time university, because is not easy to work and study.

I hope I interpreted well what you wanted to say with the expression " debt free"

I really want to choose the university, I really want to study and develop new knowledge, but even if I thought so much time which university to choose, I still have no idea about what to do.

Can anyway give me any suggest from where start to get new ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Grands said:
I really want to choose the university, I really want to study and develop new knowledge, but even if I thought so much time which university to choose, I still have no idea about what to do.

Can anyway give me any suggest from where start to get new ideas?

Thanks.
Visit a selection of universities. Sit in on some classes. Talk to some professors. Tour the lab facilities. See if you like the town or city ambience.

Yes you have to go by appropriate path. I mean you have to select university on the basis of your high school percentage as well as your interest. select the subject you are interested in. like in science you can choose Physics, Chemistry, Biology. and in these you have to select your specification like in Chemistry you can select Organic, Inorganic, Analytical etc. If you are interested in Arts, you can choose your subject.

Likes symbolipoint
CrysPhys said:
Visit a selection of universities. Sit in on some classes. Talk to some professors. Tour the lab facilities. See if you like the town or city ambience.

Yes, that was my idea but I think that I didn't explained well my question.
I wanted to ask help in choosing what to study and not were to do it, or in which city.

Johnsmith5969 said:
high school percentage
What is the high school percentage?

Grands said:
What is the high school percentage?

The grade performance you achieve in your end of school exam which determines the potential of you entering a good university.

ISamson said:
The grade performance you achieve in your end of school exam which determines the potential of you entering a good university.
In the US the grade of high school decide which university a person can do?

Grands said:
In the US the grade of high school decide which university a person can do?

Sorry if confused you but I was speaking of what I know in Australian terms. I know nothing about US university admission.

The funny thing is that I actually don't live in US

Grands said:
The funny thing is that I actually don't live in US

Me neither...

If you remember I said I live in italy, but this is not the issue, my question is about what study and not where.

Grands said:
If you remember I said I live in italy, but this is not the issue, my question is about what study and not where.
Scusa, "How to choose a University" is where, not what.

Likes ISamson
fresh_42 said:

Have you learned Italian or lived in Italy?
I have...

ISamson said:
Have you learned Italian or lived in Italy?
I have...
No, I once translated websites also to Italian, and as a European you automatically know a couple of words in many languages, and the bookmark to a translator isn't far. Italian is as familiar to me as Spanish is to a New Mexican. You don't have to speak it to be at least used to hear it. Although I prefer if it is sung :wink:

Likes ISamson
fresh_42 said:
So I have to write " Which university I have to choose ?"

Grands said:
So I have to write " Which university I have to choose ?"
There is great confusion in your posts as to whether you are asking (a) "How do I choose which university (among multiple options) to attend? or (b) "Which field (among multiple options) should I major in"? Now the questions are somewhat interrelated: if you know which major you want, you want to choose among universities that have strong programs in that particular field; but if you don't know which major you want, you want to choose among universities that have a broad range of programs (at least of good quality, though not necessarily the best in any particular field).

Should I open a new thread and be more clear ?

Grands said:
Should I open a new thread and be more clear ?
Given that you are on post #33 and the thread appears to be diverging rather than converging, that would probably be a good idea. Otherwise people who might help would be discouraged by having to wade through all these past posts.

The Mentor told me to not do that, I hope that users will understand.