How to compute Hydrogen Inner Products <n,l+1,m+1|n,l-1,m+1>?

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary, the conversation discusses computing inner products of hydrogen atom eigenfunctions without using position space representation. The speaker also mentions using known identities to perform the calculation. However, there is a misprint in the inner product and the speaker plans to post back with the correct terms.
maverick280857
Hi,

I want to compute inner products of the form

[tex]\langle n,l+1,m+1|n,l-1|m+1\rangle[/tex]

where [itex]|n,l,m\rangle[/itex] are hydrogen atom eigenfunctions.

Whats the best way to do this, without writing them in the position space representation (i.e. evaluating volume integrals)? Are there any known identities to do this calculation?

Thanks in advance,
Vivek.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
check that inner product once more, there is a misprint.

<n,L1,m1|n,L2,m2> = 0.

Distinct eigenfunctions are always orthogonal.

Yeah, I forget where :frown:. I had to determine coefficients of a linear combination containing these two kets. And to find them, I started taking inner products. Maybe I made some mistake.

Thanks for your reply, malawi_glenn. I'll post back with the right terms...I think I should sleep more :-|

1. What is a Hydrogen Inner Product?

A Hydrogen Inner Product is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to calculate the overlap between two wavefunctions, specifically the wavefunctions of two different electron orbitals in a Hydrogen atom.

2. Why is it important to compute Hydrogen Inner Products?

Computing Hydrogen Inner Products allows us to determine the probability of finding an electron in a specific region of the atom. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of atoms, which has wide-ranging applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.

3. How do you calculate Hydrogen Inner Products?

The formula for computing Hydrogen Inner Products involves integrating the product of the two wavefunctions over all space. This can be done analytically using mathematical techniques or numerically using computer algorithms.

4. What do the indices n, l, and m represent in the Hydrogen Inner Product formula?

The indices n, l, and m represent the principal quantum number, orbital angular momentum quantum number, and magnetic quantum number, respectively. These quantum numbers determine the specific energy level, shape, and orientation of an electron orbital in the Hydrogen atom.

5. Are there any shortcuts or approximations for computing Hydrogen Inner Products?

Yes, there are several approximations and simplifications that can be used to compute Hydrogen Inner Products more efficiently. For example, the Slater-type orbital approximation and the Gaussian-type orbital approximation are commonly used in computational chemistry to simplify the calculation of Hydrogen Inner Products.