How to Compute Standard Deviation in a Mixed Sampling Problem

In summary, the expected value of silver wrappers is $40(0.3)+40(0.5)=32$. The standard deviation is $np(1-p)$.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
This is problem AP3.7 on page 669 of The Practice of Statistics, 5th AP Ed., by Starnes, Tabor, Yates, and Moore.

A certain candy has different wrappers for various holidays. During Holiday 1, the candy wrappers are 30% silver, 30% red, and 40% pink. During Holiday 2, the wrappers are 50% silver and 50% blue. Forty pieces of candy are randomly selected from the Holiday 1 distribution, and 40 pieces are randomly selected from the Holiday 2 distribution. What are the expected value and standard deviation of the total number of silver wrappers?

Now, I've computed the expected value of silver candies as $40(0.3)+40(0.5)=32$. But I am at a loss to compute the standard deviation. My instinct tells me this is a discrete random variable, in which case I should compute
$$\sigma=\sqrt{\sum_i(x_i-\overline{x})^2 p_i}.$$
But then what are the $x_i$ and $p_i$ values?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would think of this as a binomial random variable, since we essentially have two outcomes and are considering each draw to be independent of the rest. For Holiday 1, each draw has a 30% "success" rate, thus a 70% "failure" rate. Same idea for Holiday 2. You found the expected value correctly using the formula for a binomial distribution $E[X]=np$. I think you can continue in this way by using the formula for the variance of a binomial random variable: $np(1-p)$. Also, since Holiday 1 and Holiday 2 are assumed to be independent, we can simply add their variances together to get the combined variance, then find the standard deviation.

Hi Ackbach,

The random variable $X$ is the number of silver wrappers.
The possible outcomes are $x_1=0$ up to $x_{81}=80$ silver wrappers with a population size of $n=81$.
The $p_i$ are the corresponding probabilities and for instance $p_{81} = P(80 \text{ silver wrappers}) = 0.3^{40} \cdot 0.5^{40}$.

Since this is about a population instead of a sample the proper symbol for the mean is $\mu$ instead of $\bar x$.
$$\sigma = \sqrt{\sum(x_i - \mu)^2 p_i}$$

As Jameson said, this is the sum of 2 binomial distributions.

When summing distributions, we have:
\begin{cases}
\mu_{_{Y+Z}} &= \mu_{_Y} + \mu_{_Z} \\
\sigma_{_{Y+Z}}^2 &=\sigma_{_Y}^2 + \sigma_{_Z}^2 + 2\sigma_{_Y}\sigma_{_Z}\rho_{_{YZ}}
\end{cases}where $\rho_{_{YZ}}$ is the correlation between $Y$ and $Z$.

Thanks very much for your replies, Jameson and I like Serena. They cleared things up immensely in my mind! I was able to obtain the correct answer.

Cheers.

1. What is a mixed sampling problem?

A mixed sampling problem refers to a scenario where data is collected from different sources or populations. This can include a combination of random and non-random sampling, as well as different types of samples such as stratified or cluster samples.

2. Why is standard deviation important in mixed sampling problems?

Standard deviation is an important measure of variability in a dataset. In mixed sampling problems, it helps to understand the spread of data from different sources and how they contribute to the overall variability in the sample.

3. How do you compute standard deviation in a mixed sampling problem?

To compute standard deviation in a mixed sampling problem, you first need to calculate the mean or average of the dataset. Then, for each data point, you calculate the difference between the data point and the mean, square it, and add it to the total. Finally, divide the total by the number of data points and take the square root to get the standard deviation.

4. Can you use the same formula for standard deviation in all types of mixed sampling problems?

Yes, the formula for computing standard deviation is the same for all types of mixed sampling problems. However, the data used in the formula may differ depending on the sampling method and the type of data being collected.

5. How can standard deviation be interpreted in a mixed sampling problem?

Standard deviation can be interpreted as a measure of how much variation or dispersion there is in the data collected from different sources in a mixed sampling problem. A higher standard deviation indicates a larger spread of data, while a lower standard deviation indicates a smaller spread.