How to construct a disjoint sequence from an infinite sigma-algebra?

In summary, this question asks how to create a disjoint sequence in an infinite set, and the answer is that it depends on what you want.
zzzhhh
Suppose [tex]\mathcal A[/tex] is an infinite [tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebra, how to construct a disjoint sequence in [tex]\mathcal A[/tex] such that each term is nonempty? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Let X1, X2, X3, ..., Xn, ... are the elements of the said [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra.

Then, for any positive integer n>1, let En = Xn - [itex][[/itex]Xn[itex]\bigcap[/itex][itex]([/itex]Xn-1[itex]\bigcup[/itex] ... [itex]\bigcup[/itex]X1[itex])[/itex][itex]][/itex]

The result is a disjoint sequence {En}, where E1= X1

stat22 said:
Let X1, X2, X3, ..., Xn, ... are the elements of the said [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra.

Then, for any positive integer n>1, let En = Xn - [itex][[/itex]Xn[itex]\bigcap[/itex][itex]([/itex]Xn-1[itex]\bigcup[/itex] ... [itex]\bigcup[/itex]X1[itex])[/itex][itex]][/itex]

The result is a disjoint sequence {En}, where E1= X1

And who says that the terms are nonempty?? For example, take X1=[0,2] and X2=[0,1]. Then

[tex]X_2\setminus (X_2\cap X_1)=[0,1]\setminus [0,1]=\emptyset[/tex]

micromass,

in your example X1={0,2} and X2={0,1}, the intersection is {0} not {0,1}. Thus X2-(X2[itex]\bigcap[/itex]X1)={0,1}-{0}={1} not empty!

stat22 said:
micromass,

in your example X1={0,2} and X2={0,1}, the intersection is {0} not {0,1}. Thus X2-(X2[itex]\bigcap[/itex]X1)={0,1}-{0}={1} not empty!

I'm talking about the interval [0,1], not {0,1}.

But, if you don't like intervals, consider X1={0,1}, X2={0}. Then

[tex]X_2\setminus(X_2\cap X_1)=\emptyset[/tex]

I think the standard way, given a collection A:={A_1,...,A_n,..} (I think this works only for countable collections ) to define B:={B_1,...,B_n,...} by:

B_1:=A_1
B_2:=A_2-A_1
B_n:=A_n-[A_1\/A_2\/...\/A_(n-1)]

Bacle said:
I think the standard way, given a collection A:={A_1,...,A_n,..} (I think this works only for countable collections ) to define B:={B_1,...,B_n,...} by:

B_1:=A_1
B_2:=A_2-A_1
B_n:=A_n-[A_1\/A_2\/...\/A_(n-1)]

Yes, these are certainly disjoint, but perhaps empty!

Then I imagine one can ignore the empty sets, but that depends on what zzzhhh wants.

Bacle said:
Then I imagine one can ignore the empty sets, but that depends on what zzzhhh wants.

Yes, but you still need to end up with an infinite number of sets. If you throw away too many sets, then you might end up with a finite number of sets...

FAQ: How to construct a disjoint sequence from an infinite sigma-algebra?

1. What is a disjoint sequence in relation to an infinite sigma-algebra?

A disjoint sequence is a collection of sets that are pairwise disjoint, meaning that they have no elements in common. In the context of an infinite sigma-algebra, this means that each set in the sequence is contained within the sigma-algebra and any two sets in the sequence do not share any elements.

2. Why is it important to construct a disjoint sequence from an infinite sigma-algebra?

Constructing a disjoint sequence from an infinite sigma-algebra is important because it allows us to partition the sigma-algebra into smaller, more manageable subsets. This can make it easier to study and analyze certain properties or characteristics of the infinite sigma-algebra.

3. How do you construct a disjoint sequence from an infinite sigma-algebra?

The process of constructing a disjoint sequence from an infinite sigma-algebra involves breaking down the sigma-algebra into smaller subsets and then selecting one element from each subset to create the sequence. This ensures that the sets in the sequence are pairwise disjoint and contained within the sigma-algebra.

4. What are some practical applications of constructing a disjoint sequence from an infinite sigma-algebra?

Disjoint sequences from an infinite sigma-algebra are commonly used in probability theory and measure theory. They are also useful in the study of stochastic processes, where they can be used to represent a sequence of events with a certain probability distribution.

5. Is it always possible to construct a disjoint sequence from an infinite sigma-algebra?

Yes, it is always possible to construct a disjoint sequence from an infinite sigma-algebra. This is because infinite sigma-algebras are closed under countable unions and intersections, meaning that we can always break them down into smaller, disjoint subsets.