Where Can I Pursue Advanced Physics Studies Abroad?

• Thread starter QuantumPlan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studies
In summary, the conversation is about someone who graduated in physics in Hungary, has experience in Density Functional Theory and Quantum Computation research, but is currently working as a software developer and wants to go back to physics. They are interested in finding opportunities to continue their studies or research in Europe/UK/US/Japan. Another person suggests checking PhD positions at IMEC in Belgium, but the original person is unsure if they are eligible as they only have a master's degree. They inquire about the meaning of GRE and its significance in the application process.
QuantumPlan
Hi All!

I graduated in physics at 2005 in Hungary, Europe. My research field was Density Functional Theory, I was working on a DFT computational software. I also did some basic researches in Quantum Computation.
Unfortunately, in Hungary these things are nat really needed, so I could not -- and maybe still cannot -- continue my studies to a PhD or do some career in some field of technology. I was wondering if there is some places where I can go on with learning physics or do some researches.
What I'm really interested in are Quantum Computation, DFT hardcore computation and system development, and Post CMOS researches.
Since I could not continue my studies I am now a software developer at a Software company, so I have almost a year application developer experience (not to mention my two years which I was spending with coding physical proplems at the university).
If someone knows some places suitable for me in Urope/UK/US/Japan or even in other countries, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated. I want to go back to physics :).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumPlan said:
Hi All!

I graduated in physics at 2005 in Hungary, Europe. My research field was Density Functional Theory, I was working on a DFT computational software. I also did some basic researches in Quantum Computation.
Unfortunately, in Hungary these things are nat really needed, so I could not -- and maybe still cannot -- continue my studies to a PhD or do some career in some field of technology. I was wondering if there is some places where I can go on with learning physics or do some researches.
What I'm really interested in are Quantum Computation, DFT hardcore computation and system development, and Post CMOS researches.
Since I could not continue my studies I am now a software developer at a Software company, so I have almost a year application developer experience (not to mention my two years which I was spending with coding physical proplems at the university).
If someone knows some places suitable for me in Urope/UK/US/Japan or even in other countries, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated. I want to go back to physics :).

Thanks!
Hey,

I do a PhD on DFT computations for CMOS structures at IMEC, Belgium.

If you want more info, check the PhD positions at IMEC or you can alwys ask me for more clarification ofcourse.

Regards
marlon

Concerning IMEC: Leuven's a nice place to live - especially if you like beer :smile:

Hi marlon and J77!

I glad to be contact with people who are interested in what I'm interested in :).

I will check the PhD positions as soon as I can, but unfortunately somehow now I can't reach the IMEC server :(.

Anyway, marlon, could you tell me something about what your researches are? I mean, does it need some special computational or other experiences?

Thanks!

QuantumPlan said:
Anyway, marlon, could you tell me something about what your researches are? I mean, does it need some special computational or other experiences?

Thanks!

I work on the interface between the metal gate and the high k dielectric to figure out the Vt-shift in CMOS transistors. Here is some general info as to why we are using such materials. Basically i use DFT simulations to figure out the electrostatics of the interface and the influence of oxidation (inherent to the ALD deposition method of the high k) and other things...

marlon

J77 said:
Leuven's a nice place to live - especially if you like beer :smile:

Well, this counts for almost every city in Belgium. http://www.gent.be/gent/english/ is much nicer though...

marlon

ps : what's the error message when you try to enter the IMEC server ? Do thers have that same problem ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The connection problem is now fixed, that was my fault.

Anyway I have already been in Belgium. In Antwerp, and in Brugge.
My ex:(-girlfriend was studying in Quantum Comp. in Antwerp for 3 months and I visited her. Antwerp was nice. I am not really a beer-drinker, I prefer the Martini-line, but when I was in Belgium Of Course I tasted some of its beers:). I liked Grimbergen most...

Allright, I began to look out the PhD positions in EMIC. There are an awsome lot of them... To me it seems that only people already studying in some university can apply for a thesis :(. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so, becouse if I'm right, I cannot apply any of the mentioned thesises though there are a couple of interesting ones.
Am I right or not?

Sorry, I wrote EMIC instead of IMEC...

QuantumPlan said:
Allright, I began to look out the PhD positions in EMIC. There are an awsome lot of them... To me it seems that only people already studying in some university can apply for a thesis :(. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so, becouse if I'm right, I cannot apply any of the mentioned thesises though there are a couple of interesting ones.
Am I right or not?
Here in Belgium, you must get a master degree before doing PhD. These master thesises are just for college students in their final year. If you have a college degree you can apply for any master thesis if you want. To get the PhD, you need to obtain a scholarship. IMEC may give you such scholarships or even the European Union (Marie Curie scholarships) will do this.

marlon

Thanks marlon.

I have a master degree in physics, though.
I found this on the IMEC site :

For EU citizens and students with a European Master's degree: send your application form, résumé or CV, diploma certificates, reference letters (at least 2) and your topical preferences to Stefaan Van Avermaet at the address below. It is mandatory to have passed the GRE test successfully. The deadline for sending in applications for 2006 has been extended to January 13th, 2006. Only exceptionally applications outside this period are considered.

Now my question is: what does GRE stands for? And what is this GRE exam mean?

Thanks alot!

QuantumPlan said:
Thanks marlon.

I have a master degree in physics, though.
I found this on the IMEC site :

For EU citizens and students with a European Master's degree: send your application form, résumé or CV, diploma certificates, reference letters (at least 2) and your topical preferences to Stefaan Van Avermaet at the address below. It is mandatory to have passed the GRE test successfully. The deadline for sending in applications for 2006 has been extended to January 13th, 2006. Only exceptionally applications outside this period are considered.

Now my question is: what does GRE stands for? And what is this GRE exam mean?

Thanks alot!

The GRE is a general exam to test your english, knowledge of science, IQ etc etc... Just email the person in the quotation for more info.

marlon

And another question :

Does it mean a problem that I am right now not a student at any universities, since I finished studies, ang got the master's degree?

I think I can collect that two referentials, and maybe I could pass some exams... So there would be no limits :)

So, does that mean that I don't have to take any serious exams in physics? Only in English? (My english is not perfect though, but I can 'fine-tune' it. :)

QuantumPlan said:
So, does that mean that I don't have to take any serious exams in physics? Only in English? (My english is not perfect though, but I can 'fine-tune' it. :)
Normally, you will have to pass physics exams in your first year of phd (predoctoral year). You have 5 subjects and you need an average of 800/1000 on each subject. That was how it went with me and others here at IMEC.

regards

nikolaas

Thats ok. Sounds suitable. That's how things go here in hungary at universities.

That sounds ok, becouse that's similar to the way things go here in Hungary at universities. At the end of each semester students have to take their exams in the subjects they've learnt.

Sorry... I posted the same thing twice :).
That's how things go early in the morning, after a party :)

QuantumPlan said:
Sorry... I posted the same thing twice :).
That's how things go early in the morning, after a party :)

In the morning after a party, you should be in bed with a nice girl. You should not be posting on a physicsforum. SHAME ON YOU:cool:

marlon

Hi, that's me, QuantumPlan, but with that account, something went wrong, and I can't fix that, so I had to chose another name...

Hey marlon!

I would like to ask you about the salary which comes (if so) with a phd position at IMEC. Could you please tell me something about this?

Thanks!

Gergely (a.k.a. QuantumPlan :smile: )

Yet another question :

For computations do you use some special tools? I mean some programming languages developped specially for DFT or other types of computational methods...
Or do you use some hardcore (maybe OO) programming languages, like C++ or Java?

The reason why i am asking this is that I already have some experiences in C++, Fortran and Java. Can it be an advantage if I apply for a PhD position?

Thanks

Gergely

QuantumReg said:
Yet another question :

For computations do you use some special tools? I mean some programming languages developped specially for DFT or other types of computational methods...
Or do you use some hardcore (maybe OO) programming languages, like C++ or Java?

The reason why i am asking this is that I already have some experiences in C++, Fortran and Java. Can it be an advantage if I apply for a PhD position?

Thanks

Gergely
software is available, don't worry. All the required programming is done in fortran, so C++ will do just fine :)

marlon

Thanks marlon!

I'm not really glad to hear that fortran is the preferred language, becouse I have much better skills in object oriented languages. What best fits me is Java, becouse I am now develop stuff in it, but I know Java is not the best thing to use in science. Anyway, I was involved in the development of a software used in some DFT calculations. Development was done using Fortran. I wrote my diploma about that development and about the results we had. So Fortran is not completely unfriendly for me, but I prefer C++ for Physical calculations.

OOP Rulez! :cool:

Gergely

Hi Again!

I can't just stop worrying...

Now, what I see is that if I would like to apply for a PhD, 'all' I have to do is take the GRE general exam (would be hard , but I can manage this), get at least two reference letters from my professors : that's okay. But then what?
I mean I think without any articles with my name on it, from a noname university, I don't have too much chance :frown: . Or Am I wrong?

Can you give me some advices, how to get a little closer to this?

Anyway, I will try it, but that's not going to be some 'easy-cruisin' ::smile:

Gergely

1. How do I choose the right program for my studies?

Choosing the right program for your studies can be overwhelming, but there are a few factors you can consider to help you make a decision. Firstly, think about your interests and career goals. What subjects do you enjoy and what do you want to achieve in your future career? Secondly, research the reputation and ranking of different universities and their programs. This can give you an idea of the quality of education and opportunities available. Lastly, consider the program structure and curriculum to ensure it aligns with your learning style and interests.

2. What are the requirements for continuing my studies?

The requirements for continuing your studies vary depending on the program and university you choose. Generally, you will need to have a high school diploma or equivalent, meet the minimum GPA requirement, and submit an application with supporting documents such as transcripts and letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, a personal statement, or an interview.

3. How can I fund my studies?

Paying for your studies can be a challenge, but there are various options available to help you fund your education. You can apply for scholarships, grants, and fellowships offered by universities, government agencies, and private organizations. You can also consider taking out student loans, but make sure to carefully research and compare the interest rates and repayment terms. Additionally, you can work part-time or participate in paid internships to support your studies.

4. Is it possible to study while working full-time?

Yes, it is possible to continue your studies while working full-time. Many universities offer flexible programs, such as online courses or evening classes, to accommodate working professionals. However, it can be challenging to balance both commitments, so it is important to have good time management skills and prioritize your workload. You may also need to communicate with your employer and make necessary adjustments to your work schedule.

5. How can I make the most out of my studies?

To make the most out of your studies, it is important to stay motivated and engaged in your learning. Attend lectures and participate in class discussions, take advantage of resources such as study groups and tutoring services, and actively seek out opportunities for hands-on experience and research projects. It is also beneficial to build strong relationships with your professors and peers, as they can provide valuable support and guidance throughout your academic journey.