How to deal with a teacher who doesn't even teach why things work?

In summary: Teaching how something works is definitely in the scope of a physics course. If I was in a bio class, I wouldn't even complain. But physics?My teacher does not teach why things work, just throw random formulae and show how to 'plug-in' values. I know one must learn a skill to deal with this type of teacher but I have never had this kind before. How did you cope with this kind of situation?Some particular examples, for instance in mechanics or EM, would be helpful. It's difficult to assess the situation without knowing the background, or the persons involved. Certainly, different teachers/professors have different approaches. I've had excellent teachers as well as poor ones
It is very common for teachers to be intimidated by the students.

I remember early feedback from one class, when I was training, was "you don't need to be so scared of us". They can smell your fear :) but don't understand it so that will put them off you - like you are not being genuine with them.

I used to have once-a-week feedback to specific questions:
1. What have I done well?
2. What have I done badly?
3. What didn't I do that I should have done?
4. What has improved since last week?

Anonymous ballot - and I publish the results on the wall and talk about them (briefly) at the next lesson.

When you start teaching you become an authority figure - a kind of government (if you teach in a state school you are literally a government employee). Talking about yourself can help - who you are, what you do, why you think your subject is important. It a leadership role and it takes a while to learn.

Presumably you've figured that out :)

Science news on Phys.org
I also used to think why they skipped the major part when i was in Puc..i used to get frustrated and scratch my head everytime but later got to know abt it so buck up and do hard work.