1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to derive Lienard-Wiechert potential from Maxwell's equation?

1. Jun 28, 2009 #1
    I've seen one derivation on Feynman Lectures on Physics, but the derivation is not really rigorous(he took a very special case for the derivation),I googled about the topic and couldn't find a satisfactory one. So can anybody give me a rigorous one?
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2009 #2
    Jackson derives it in 6 equations at the start of chapter 14, but you need to be familiar with the relativistic formalism (current and potential as four-vectors) and retarded Green's functions. If you are familiar with these, than the LW potentials follow from:

[tex]\mathbf{A} = \frac{4\pi}{c} \int d^4x' G(x-x') \mathbf{J}(x') [/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{J}(x') = \int d\tau \mathbf{v}(\tau) \delta^4(x' - r(\tau))[/tex]

where r is the trajectory (four-vector), and v is the four-velocity. All you do is sub the second eq into the first and crank it out to derive the LW potentials.
    [tex]

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3
    Thanks.But I'm not quite familiar with the manipulation of those, I'll give a shot.
    And are there any other derivations avaliable?

5. Jun 29, 2009 #4
    I'm not a big fan of Griffiths, but his "Electrodynamics" text has a pretty good derivation of it in chapter 10 - self contained and quite intuitive.

-----
    Assaf
    http://www.physicallyincorrect.com" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Jun 30, 2009 #5
    Thanks, I will have a look at it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook