Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to design dc to ac inverter

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    how to design dc to ac inverter

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    Re: inverter

I've never designed an inverter. One reason is that while I was an engineer at Motorola, I had a summer intern, a student from MIT, working for me. When we decided to design an inverter she told me I should call her dad for some pointers. Her dad happened to be vice president of the division at Motorola that made ballasts for florescent lights which are really inverters. So I called him. He asked me if I'd ever designed an inverter before and I said no. He said, "If you've never designed an inverter before, don't." and that was that.

At that time Motorola offered kits with all the components and a printed circuit pattern for doing your own PC board. You might look for something like that. Another company that sells a lot of components for inverters is Linear Technologies. Call them and ask to speak with an applications engineer. He'll be able to help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook