How to Determine the Force P Required to Move a Wedge to the Left?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tiffyleigh07
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Wedge
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
tiffyleigh07
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
the machine part ABC is supported by a frictionless hinge at B and a 10 degree wedge at C. Knowing that the coefficient of static friction is .20 at both surfaces of the wedge, determine (a) the force P required to move the wedge to the left, (b) the components of the corresponding reaction at B.

I have the by component which is found by (-by*10)+(-120*8)=0 and by= 96.0 lb but I am totally lost on how to get bx and the P force
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tiffyleigh07 said:
the machine part ABC is supported by a frictionless hinge at B and a 10 degree wedge at C. Knowing that the coefficient of static friction is .20 at both surfaces of the wedge, determine (a) the force P required to move the wedge to the left, (b) the components of the corresponding reaction at B.

I have the by component which is found by (-by*10)+(-120*8)=0 and by= 96.0 lb but I am totally lost on how to get bx and the P force

Welcome to the PF.

A sketch of the situation would be most helpful here...