1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Statics problem with friction

1. Nov 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two 10* wedges of negligible weight are used to move and position the 400-lb block. Knowing that the coefficient of static friction is 0.25 at all surfaces of contact, determine the smallest force P that should be applied as shown to one of the wedges.

2. Relevant equations
    I broke the 400lb block with wedge touching it up from the wedge on the ground. I've got two FBD's I analyzed. Considering the 400lb block I summed forces in y to find Fn2. Then I considered the wedge to find P.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The attachment has my solution. P should be 313lb I got 273lb.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3
    I figured this out long ago. The term is officially over. Thanks though!

I was analyzing the top wedge wrong. I forgot about the force normal to the wall and the friction force against the wall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted