1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine the limits for triple integration?

1. Apr 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the triple integral:
    ∫ x dxdydz
    A

where

A = {(x; y; z) : x, y, z > 0, x + y + z ≤ 1} .

2. Relevant equations

None that I know of.

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem I have is determining the limits for x, y and z. I don't really understand the following notation:

A = {(x; y; z) : x, y, z > 0, x + y + z ≤ 1} , which I believe will help me.

I'm guessing x + y + z ≤ 1 is the definition of a plane and the region A that we are integration over is in the first octant since x, y, z > 0.

Kind regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are correct.

However, in future, please post your homework in the proper HW forum. I'm moving this thread to the Calculus HW forum.

4. Apr 21, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

x+ y+ z= 1, which is the same as z= 1- x- y, is a plane crossing the three coordinate axes at (1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0), and (0, 0, 1).

Projecting down to the xy-plane, where z= 0, we have the region bounded by the x and y axes and the line x+ y= 0. The line x+ y= 0, which is the same as y= 1- x, crosses the x and y axes at (1, 0) and (0, 1). So x goes from a smallest value of 0 to a largest value of 1. Now, if you were to draw a line parallel to the y-axis, for each x, what would the lowest and largest values of y be? If you were to draw a line parallel to the z- axis, for each (x,y), what would the smallest and largest values of y be?

5. Apr 21, 2015 #4
    Ah sorry about that SteamKing. So if I consider layers along the z axis, my constant limits for z would be from 0 to 1. I still don't know how to determine the limits for x and y. I cannot visualise the projection of A onto the x-y plane.

6. Apr 21, 2015 #5
    Hi HallsofIvy, so for each value of x, the lowest and highest value of y would be from 0 to the line x+y=1, so the highest value will be y=x-1? Will the highest values for z be 0 to 1?

Kind regards.

ah sorry, I think my limits for z are wrong as you told me to think about z for each (x,y)

7. Apr 21, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In cases like this, making a simple sketch can often provide clarity to what the limits are.

8. Apr 21, 2015 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No! If x+ y= 1 then y= 1- x.

No.

z goes from 0 to 1- x- y.

9. Apr 21, 2015 #8
    HallsofIvy, why does z go from 0 to 1-x-y?

10. Apr 21, 2015 #9
    ah it's the equation of the plane from the xy plane to z=1- x -y for each x and y! nevermind!
    Thank you! I really appreciate the help from everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted