1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine the resistance in a electric heater

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    hallo everyone,

I have a problem which i cant solve. Does somebody know how to solve this problem?? The question is:

A 220 V electric heater has two heating coils which can be switched such that either coil can be used independently or can be connected in series or parallel, yielding a total of four possible configurations.
    The warmest setting corresponds to 2000 W and the coolest corresponds to 300 W.
    R1 > R2

Determine the resistance of R1 [in Ω].

regards

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What have you tried so far? How do you think you can approach it?

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    I've drawn four configurations;
    1) two resistors parallel (R1 and R2) with a source voltage of 220 V
    2) 1 resistor with a source voltage of 220 V
    3) 1 resistor with a source voltage of 220 V
    4) two resistors (R1 and R2) in series with a source voltage of 220 V

For each of these configurations I've computed the equivalent resistance and concluded that configuration 1 consumes the most power (so 2000 W) and config. 2 the least power (300 W). So for config. 1 I have 4 unknowns; R1, R2, I1, I2 and I have 3 equations; R1=U/I1 R2=U/I2 and finally P=(I1^2)*R1 + (I2^2)*R2. So I'm missing one equation to solve this problem and I do not know which one. I've also tried to use the last configuration and to relate these configs but I didn't get an answer that makes reason.

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You just need to think a little more. For example, in the parallel circuit you know that [itex]V_1=V_2=V[/itex]. Thus,

[tex]P_p = V^2\left(\frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2}\right)[/tex]

And you already know the parallel circuit power consumption. Now, how about the single resistor circuit?

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Wouldn't the least power occur when the net resistance is as large as possible? After all, P = V2/R.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook