How to do I prove this limit?

• Thread starter rohitmishra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: This will give you a delta neighborhood for x such that g(x) is within epsilon of L whenever x is within this delta neighborhood. So, in summary, g(x) is a composition of f(x) and a linear function, ax, and by using the appropriate delta neighborhood, you can show that the limit of g(x) is equal to L.
rohitmishra
Suppose f:R->R , Lim (x->0) f(x) = L. and a>0.

Define g:R->R by g(x)= f(ax). Prove that Lim (x->0) g(x) = L ?

My Solution.

I am not able to prove it as equal to L.

From what I get it is

Lim (x->0) g(x)

Lim (x->0) a * f(x)

a* Lim (x->0) f(x)

a* L = aL ??

I have to prove Lim (x->0) g(x) = L.

Help me out

Physics news on Phys.org

rohitmishra said:
Define g:R->R by g(x)= f(ax). Prove that Lim (x->0) g(x) = L ?
Lim (x->0) g(x)

Lim (x->0) a * f(x)

I do not see how you get the equality f(ax) = a*f(x). This is only true when f is linear on R.

If you do not have any theorems dealing with limits of compositions, then it is still easy to see that ax approaches 0 whenever x approaches 0. You have to rigorize this statement by noting that g(x) = f(u) when u = ax. The fact that the limit exists for f(u) as u approaches 0 gives you a predetermined delta neighborhood of u for any epsilon. You have to then show what delta neighborhood you should use for x = u/a.

Last edited:

1. How do I know when a limit exists?

A limit exists when the function approaches a single value as the independent variable gets closer and closer to a certain value. This value is called the limit and can be found by evaluating the function at that specific value or by using algebraic techniques.

2. What is the difference between one-sided and two-sided limits?

A one-sided limit only considers values approaching from one direction (either the left or right) while a two-sided limit considers values approaching from both directions. It is important to specify which type of limit is being evaluated in order to accurately determine the limit.

3. How can I use algebra to prove a limit?

Algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, and manipulating equations can be used to simplify the function and evaluate the limit. It is also important to know the basic limit rules, such as the sum, difference, and product rules, to accurately prove a limit using algebra.

4. What is the epsilon-delta definition of a limit?

The epsilon-delta definition of a limit is a mathematical definition that formally states what it means for a limit to exist. It states that for any positive value of epsilon (ε), there exists a corresponding positive value of delta (δ) such that if the distance between the input and the limit is within delta (|x-a| < δ), then the distance between the output and the limit is within epsilon (|f(x)-L| < ε).

5. Can I use a graph to prove a limit?

Yes, a graph can be used to visually show the behavior of a function and determine the limit. If the graph approaches a single value as the independent variable gets closer and closer to a certain value, then the limit exists at that specific value. However, it is important to also use algebraic techniques to verify the limit and to consider any possible discontinuities or holes in the graph that may affect the limit.