How to draw longitudinal lines on a circle as Earth?

In summary, scientific601 tells us that to draw longitudinal lines on a circle, we need to imagine a point on the equator, a line going north from there, and two lines intersecting at the equator. The angle between these lines is the measure of longitude. To figure out the location of the line of longitude in the circle, we need trigonometry.
Nargis Adham
I have a circle, representing Earth with equator drawn on it. I need to draw longitudinal lines on 15 degree, 30 degree, and 60 degrees distance? I am not sure how and from where to measure these angular distances. Thanks.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
How did you draw an equator on a circle? Do you mean a sphere?

These may help.
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=l...ChMI3KjJlpzrxwIVRRamCh00bwXM&biw=1680&bih=925

And this:

picture-s=r-theta-circle.gif

Likes Nargis Adham
Nargis Adham said:
I have a circle, representing Earth with equator drawn on it. I need to draw longitudinal lines on 15 degree, 30 degree, and 60 degrees distance? I am not sure how and from where to measure these angular distances. Thanks.
The Earth is a ball. The angle is measured at the center of the Earth.

Imagine a point X on the equator. Imagine a line going directly north from that point. Imagine a point Y somewhere on that north-going line.

Imagine a line x between point X and the center of the Earth. Imagine a line y between point Y and the center of the Earth. There is an angle between the two lines. That's the measure of longitude.

To figure out where to draw the line of longitude in your circle on paper, you will need trigonometry.

Likes Nargis Adham
Project a line from the center of the circle straight down. This is 0 degrees.
Rotate this line left or right 15 degrees, place a vertical line where it intersects the circle. Where this vertical line intersects the equator is where the longitude is.
Repeat for 30, 60 degrees.
If you want to draw in the entire longitude you'd have to draw parts of an ellipse.
long.gif

Likes Nargis Adham
What scientific601 is demonstrating is that you can start by drawing the sphere looking down on it from above. Then project those points to the face.
longitude.png
scientific601 has eloquently done it without needing to use an extra circle.

Last edited:
Likes Nargis Adham and billy_joule
Thank you so much everyone for your help and your time. Your answers are very helpful for me. Thanks again!

1. How do you determine the placement of longitudinal lines on a circle as Earth?

The placement of longitudinal lines on a circle as Earth is determined by dividing the circle into equal segments, with each segment representing a specific degree of longitude. This is typically done using a protractor or by using a mathematical formula to calculate the angles.

2. What is the purpose of drawing longitudinal lines on a circle as Earth?

The purpose of drawing longitudinal lines on a circle as Earth is to accurately represent the longitude coordinates of different locations on Earth's surface. This allows for the creation of maps and other geographical representations that accurately depict the location of different places on the Earth.

3. How many longitudinal lines are drawn on a circle as Earth?

There are 360 longitudinal lines drawn on a circle as Earth, with each line representing one degree of longitude. These lines are evenly spaced around the circle, with the prime meridian (0° longitude) passing through Greenwich, England.

4. How do you draw longitudinal lines on a circle as Earth?

To draw longitudinal lines on a circle as Earth, you can use a protractor or a mathematical formula to determine the angles at which the lines should be drawn. Then, using a compass or a circle-drawing tool, you can draw the lines at the appropriate angles, dividing the circle into equal segments.

5. Are longitudinal lines on a circle as Earth parallel or converging?

Longitudinal lines on a circle as Earth are parallel. This means that they do not converge or meet at any point on the circle, unlike lines of latitude which do converge at the poles. This is because longitudinal lines represent vertical lines of longitude, which do not converge as they extend from the equator to the poles.