How to drive a 115V 20A DC brushed motor with DC supply

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Daniel Sadlier
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I am trying to drive a 115V DC brushed motor with a DC power supply. Most drivers I've found are for AC to DC and the 115V supply seems to be to much for most DC to DC.
Has anybody worked with driving motors with large DC power supplies? Or does anybody now where I might find one?

Thanks

The motor & driver specs are:

115V
20 A (driver should be 30A+ for current spikes)
3.5 HP
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
you can use a bridge rectifier if you're careful
but
be aware your motor windings must not be internally tied to the frame unless you use an isolating transformer.

a motor can draw several times rated current during start.

so i'd consider even this 35 amp bridge skimpy
though I've used them on 2hp motors...yours is almost twice that...
http://www.newark.com/fairchild-semiconductor/gbpc3506/bridge-rectifier-35a-600v-gbpc/dp/58K8890

at only $3 you can afford to destroy one
http://www.newark.com/productimages/standard/en_US/4076477.jpgI'd look for something like this 80 amp
http://www.newark.com/nte-electronics/nte5346/bridge-rectifier-single-phase/dp/31C4719
datasheet
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/5300to5399/pdf/nte5346_48.pdf
http://www.newark.com/productimages/standard/en_US/5060871.jpg
be aware your motor windings must not be internally tied to the frame unless you use an isolating transformer.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman