DC Motor & Drive: Find the Perfect Match for Your Needs

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a suitable DC drive for a 0.5 HP Permanent magnet DC motor. The person is looking for a drive that has feedback control, can be driven by a 0-5V external signal, has start/stop control signal, and provides a speed output back to the DAQ system. After searching for hours, they found the Baldor CDPT3326 as a potential option and asked for suggestions from the forum. Later, they came across another DC drive that seems to meet all their requirements.
buzzmatrix
Hi there,

I've been looking through the web for hours but I cannot find a DC drive that can do everything I have in mind. After a few hours and being thoroughly confused. I was wondering if someone on this forum would be of any help.

I'm trying to buy a 0.5 HP Permanent magnet DC motor to drive a pump at work. The one I have in mind is the Baldor CDPT3326 ( link : https://www.baldorvip.com/servlet/productInfoPacket/CDPT3326.pdf).

I'm trying to find a DC drive (230V single phase input) that goes with this. My requirements are:

1. The DC drive has to have feedback control.
2. Should have the ability to be driven by a 0-5V external signal coming from a DAQ system.
3. Start/stop control signal from the DAQ.
4. I also need it to provide a speed output back to the DAQ, so that I know it is running.

Any of you fine gentleman/woman have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I found this DC drive (pdf attached). It seems to offer everything I want. Am i right?

Attachments

• HG102938-340i-manual-iss-15.pdf
    511.7 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming you can deal with the various interfacing requirements between the DAQ system and the controller, I think you found a good candidate.

1. What is a DC motor and drive?

A DC motor and drive is a type of electric motor that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is typically used in applications that require precise speed and torque control, such as in robotics, industrial machinery, and electric vehicles.

2. How does a DC motor and drive work?

A DC motor and drive works by using direct current (DC) electricity to power the motor, which then converts the energy into rotational motion. The drive controls the amount of current and voltage supplied to the motor, allowing for precise control over the motor's speed and torque.

3. What are the key factors to consider when selecting a DC motor and drive?

The key factors to consider when selecting a DC motor and drive include the required speed and torque, the power source (voltage and current), the physical size and weight limitations, and the necessary control options. It is important to match the motor and drive to the specific application and requirements.

4. What are the advantages of using a DC motor and drive?

Some advantages of using a DC motor and drive include high torque and speed control, compact size, and high efficiency. DC motors and drives also have a longer lifespan compared to other types of motors, making them a reliable choice for many applications.

5. How do I maintain a DC motor and drive?

To maintain a DC motor and drive, it is important to regularly check for any signs of wear and tear, keep the motor and drive clean and free of debris, and follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule. It is also essential to monitor the motor's temperature and ensure that it does not overheat.