Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How to estimate this cross section

1. Jul 1, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

Do any has an idea how to give a rough estimation for this process's cross section:

g g -> H -> h h, (h -> b b~), ( h -> b b~) ?

where h is SM Higgs and H is a heavy Higgs boson with BR (H > hh) ~ Gamma (H > hh) ~ 10^-3 GeV and sigma (g g > H ) ~ 10 pb ..

When I calculated it by cross section calculator like MadGraph (https://launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo) it gives sigma ~ 0.2 pb, also sigma (g g -> H -> h h) ~ 10^-1 pb, but I don't understand how these values calculated ..

Note that MG doesn't use Narrow width approximation , i.e., sigma (g g -> H -> h h, (h -> b b~), ( h -> b b~)) not equivalent to sigma (g g -> H -> h h) BR (h -> b b~) BR ( h -> b b~)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2016 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

how so?
    I mean the above decomposition seems natural as long as the production of the h's does not somehow affect their decay...
    however I can't answer your main question; i mean I don't quiet know how MadGraph works (on which theoretical basis)...

4. Jul 2, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That would surprise me. The SM Higgs has a decay width of just a few MeV. The off-shell contribution is not completely negligible, but experimentally if you look for the decay to two b-jets you cut away this contribution anyway. The H can have a much larger width but the 125 GeV Higgs decays should be independent of its production.
    The first is a subset of the second, it cannot have a cross section twice as large.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted