Surface Integrals: Evaluate A.n dS on 2x+y=6 Plane in 1st Octant

In summary: But to find the limits, I need to find the intersection of the line 2x+ y= 6 with the x-axis. I could do this by solving for x, but then I would have to solve for y and z as well, which is not necessary. In summary, the problem is incompletely stated without the orientation of the surface being given.
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

Evaluate integral A.n dS for A=(y,2x,-z) and S is the surface of the plane 2x+y=6 in the first octant of the plane cut off by z=4

Homework Equations

Integral A.n dS

The Attempt at a Solution

The normal to the plane is (2,1,0) so the unit normal vector is 1/sqrt3 (2,1,0).
A.n= 1/sqrt3(2y,2x,0)

So this is where I get stuck. I think it goes as follows...

ds= dxdy

=> double integral 2/sqrt3 y + 2/sqrt3 x dxdy

And I'm not sure how to find the limits...

Physics news on Phys.org
The plane is in the first octant so bounded by x= y= z= 0. Since there is no "z" in the equation of the plane, the plane is parallel to the z- axis so we need another z bound: we are told that the plane is bounded by z= 4. The line 2x+ y= 6 crosses the x-axis at (0, 6) and the y-axis at (3, 0). We can take x going from 0 to 3 and, for each x, y from 0 to 6- 2x. Equivalently, we can take y going from 0 to 6 and, for each y, x= (6- y)/2. In either case, z goes from 0 to 4.

HallsofIvy said:
The plane is in the first octant so bounded by x= y= z= 0. Since there is no "z" in the equation of the plane, the plane is parallel to the z- axis so we need another z bound: we are told that the plane is bounded by z= 4. The line 2x+ y= 6 crosses the x-axis at (0, 6) and the y-axis at (3, 0). We can take x going from 0 to 3 and, for each x, y from 0 to 6- 2x. Equivalently, we can take y going from 0 to 6 and, for each y, x= (6- y)/2. In either case, z goes from 0 to 4.
Would there not only be two bounds as its a surface integral? Forgive me if I'm being thick...

Yes, the bounds on x and y. I didn't say you had to use the z bounds!

I would add that the problem is incompletely stated without the orientation of the surface being given.

Upon looking more closely at this problem and proposed solution -- you cannot paramaterize this surface in terms of the variables ##x## and ##y## because they are dependent on each other. I would suggest the parameterization ##x = x,~y=6-2x,~z = z##. So the surface is parameterized as ##\vec R(x,z) = \langle x, 6-2x, z\rangle## and use the formula$$
\iint_S \vec A\cdot d\vec S = \pm\int\int \vec A \cdot \vec R_x\times \vec R_z~dxdz$$where the limits are over the ##xz## rectangle and the sign is chosen for the correct orientation (which needs to be specified).

pardon me. i faced a similar prblm . could any1 pls xplain what is first octant??

The "first octant" is the octant in an xyz- coordinate system in which all coordinates are positive.
Physgeek64 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate integral A.n dS for A=(y,2x,-z) and S is the surface of the plane 2x+y=6 in the first octant of the plane cut off by z=4
The "first octant of the plane" doesn't make sense. A plane has four quadrants not octants. I presume that you mean the portion in the first octant of the xyz coordinate, x> 0, y> 0, 2x+ y< 6 and 0< z< 4.

Homework Equations

Integral A.n dS

The normal to the plane is (2,1,0) so the unit normal vector is 1/sqrt3 (2,1,0).[/quote]
No, the unit normal is 1/sqrt(5)(2, 1, 0).

A.n= 1/sqrt3(2y,2x,0)

ds= dxdy

Since dS includes the factor sqrt(5) (not sqrt(3)) itself, there is really no point in using "n" at all. I would write, rather, [itex]\vec{A}\cdot \vec{dS}[/itex] where [itex]\vec{dS}= (2, 1, 0)dxdy[/itex] so that the integral will be [itex]\int_{x= 0}^3 \int_{y= 0}^{6- 2x} 2y+ 2x dydx[/itex]

In the x,y plane, the line 2x+ y= 6 crosses the x-axis at (3, 0) and crosses the y-axis at (0, 6). The gives a triangle with vertices at (0, 0), (3, 0), and (0, 6) in the first quadrant of the xy- plane. You can take x going from 0 to 3 and, for each x, y from 0 to 6- 2x.

Ekramul Towsif said:
pardon me. i faced a similar prblm . could any1 pls xplain what is first octant??
thnx

Physgeek64 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Integral A.n dS

The normal to the plane is (2,1,0) so the unit normal vector is 1/sqrt3 (2,1,0).
A.n= 1/sqrt3(2y,2x,0)

ds= dxdy

In your expression ##\vec{A} \cdot \vec{n} \, dS##, ##dS## is the surface area-element in the plane ##2x+y=6##. Thus ##dS = ds \, dz,## where is ##ds = \sqrt{(dx)^2 + (dy)^2}## is the length-element along the surface perpendicular to the ##z##-axis.

HallsofIvy said:
The "first octant" is the octant in an xyz- coordinate system in which all coordinates are positive.

The "first octant of the plane" doesn't make sense. A plane has four quadrants not octants. I presume that you mean the portion in the first octant of the xyz coordinate, x> 0, y> 0, 2x+ y< 6 and 0< z< 4.

Homework Equations

Integral A.n dS

No, the unit normal is 1/sqrt(5)(2, 1, 0). Since dS includes the factor sqrt(5) (not sqrt(3)) itself, there is really no point in using "n" at all. I would write, rather, [itex]\vec{A}\cdot \vec{dS}[/itex] where [itex]\vec{dS}= (2, 1, 0)dxdy[/itex] so that the integral will be [itex]\int_{x= 0}^3 \int_{y= 0}^{6- 2x} 2y+ 2x dydx[/itex]

This is not correct. As I explained in post #6, this cannot be worked as an xy domain problem.

Related to Surface Integrals: Evaluate A.n dS on 2x+y=6 Plane in 1st Octant

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field over a given surface. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface, rather than a one-dimensional curve.

2. What is the significance of evaluating A.n dS on a specific plane?

Evaluating A.n dS on a specific plane allows us to calculate the flux of a vector field through that particular surface. It is useful in many applications, such as calculating the amount of fluid flowing through a specific area, or the amount of heat transfer on a particular surface.

3. How do you determine the orientation of the surface in a surface integral?

The orientation of the surface is determined by the direction of the normal vector, which is perpendicular to the surface at each point. It is important to make sure the orientation is consistent when setting up the integral, as it can affect the final result.

4. What does the equation 2x+y=6 represent in relation to the surface integral?

The equation 2x+y=6 represents the boundary of the surface over which the integral is being evaluated. In this case, it is a plane in the first octant (x, y, and z all positive) with a normal vector of n = (2, 1, 0).

5. How is the first octant defined in a surface integral?

In a surface integral, the first octant is defined as the region where all three coordinates (x, y, and z) are positive. This is typically represented as x ≥ 0, y ≥ 0, and z ≥ 0. It is important to define the octant when evaluating a surface integral to ensure the correct orientation and boundaries are used.