How to evaluate this integral?

• I
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Why?The beta function is defined for positive real numbers, but the equation for the integral you are trying to solve is valid for some complex numbers, too.
EngWiPy
Hello all,

I need to evaluate this integral

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}(1+\alpha_2)^{-2}\left(\alpha_2+b\right)^{-1}\,d\alpha_2[/tex]

I found the following integral in the table of integrals (eq 3.197.1, 7th edition)

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}x^{v-1}(\beta+x)^{-\mu}(x+\gamma)^{-\rho}\,dx=\beta^{-\mu}\gamma^{\mu-\rho}B(v,\mu-v+\rho)_2F_1(\mu,\,v;\,\mu+\rho;1-\frac{\gamma}{\beta})[/tex]

The integral and the conditions are in the image attached. Comparing the two integrals I set ##v=1,\,\beta=1,\,\gamma=b##, which implies that ##\mu=2## and ##\rho=1##. I satisfy the last two conditions, but I'm not sure about the first two. What does it mean arg x if x is a constant?

##b## varies in a loop, and when I evaluate the integral I get results. However, the final result, in which the above integral is a part, isn't right. I'm not sure where the error is, and I wanted to make sure it isn't in using the integral.

I appreciate any help. Thanks

Attachments

• Integral.png
    Integral.png
    20 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
S_David said:
Hello all,

I need to evaluate this integral

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}(1+\alpha_2)^{-2}\left(\alpha_2+b\right)^{-1}\,d\alpha_2[/tex]

I found the following integral in the table of integrals (eq 3.197.1, 7th edition)

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}x^{v-1}(\beta+x)^{-\mu}(x+\gamma)^{-\rho}\,dx=\beta^{-\mu}\gamma^{\mu-\rho}B(v,\mu-v+\rho)_2F_1(\mu,\,v;\,\mu+\rho;1-\frac{\gamma}{\beta})[/tex]

The integral and the conditions are in the image attached. Comparing the two integrals I set ##v=1,\,\beta=1,\,\gamma=b##, which implies that ##\mu=2## and ##\rho=1##. I satisfy the last two conditions, but I'm not sure about the first two. What does it mean arg x if x is a constant?
It doesn't say arg(x) in the integral you found -- it says arg(β) and arg(γ). This implies that these parameters are complex. In the integral x is real.

S_David said:
##b## varies in a loop, and when I evaluate the integral I get results. However, the final result, in which the above integral is a part, isn't right. I'm not sure where the error is, and I wanted to make sure it isn't in using the integral.

I appreciate any help. Thanks
The integral you found should work, but I don't know what the B and F1 functions are. The integral could be evaluated using much simpler means, though, by using partial fractions decomposition to split the integrand into three parts.

The decomposition would look like this:
$$\frac{1}{(a + 1)^2} \frac{1}{a + b} = \frac{A}{a + 1} + \frac{B}{(a + 1)^2} + \frac{C}{a + b} $$
After you determine the constants A, B, and C, integrate each term and then evaluate your three improper integrals.

Likes EngWiPy
The equation is valid for some complex numbers as well, the condition on the complex argument are satisfied for positive real values (and also for all complex values with a positive imaginary component).

It is not necessary to use such a powerful formula, for integer exponents you can use partial fraction decomposition.

Likes EngWiPy
Mark44 said:
...The integral could be evaluated using much simpler means, though, by using partial fractions decomposition to split the integrand into three parts.

The decomposition would look like this:
$$\frac{1}{(a + 1)^2} \frac{1}{a + b} = \frac{A}{a + 1} + \frac{B}{(a + 1)^2} + \frac{C}{a + b} $$
After you determine the constants A, B, and C, integrate each term and then evaluate your three improper integrals.

Thanks, but why ##\frac{A}{a + 1} + \frac{B}{(a + 1)^2} + \frac{C}{a + b} ## and not ##\frac{A}{(a + 1)^2} + \frac{B}{a + b} ##? I did the latter, and I got the following:

[tex]\frac{1}{(x+1)^2(x+b)}=\frac{1}{b-1}\left[\frac{1}{(x+1)^2}-\frac{1}{x+b}\right][/tex]

Then I used the integral formula (attached):

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{x^{\mu-1}}{(1+\beta\,x)^v}\,dx=\beta^{-\mu} B(\mu,\,v-\mu)[/tex],

where ##B(.,.)## is the beta function. I got the following:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{(x+1)^2}\,dx=B(1,1)[/tex]

and

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{(x+b)}\,dx=B(1,0)[/tex]

But evaluating ##B(1,1)-B(1,0)## in Mathematica gives me ComplexInfinity! Why?

Attachments

• Integral2.png
    Integral2.png
    12 KB · Views: 419
S_David said:
Thanks, but why ##\frac{A}{a + 1} + \frac{B}{(a + 1)^2} + \frac{C}{a + b} ## and not ##\frac{A}{(a + 1)^2} + \frac{B}{a + b} ##?
Because that's how you do it when you have repeated linear factors (i.e., (a + 1)2). If you break it up into only two terms, you don't get the correct decomposition. You need to break the original integrand into three terms, not two.
S_David said:
I did the latter, and I got the following:

[tex]\frac{1}{(x+1)^2(x+b)}=\frac{1}{b-1}\left[\frac{1}{(x+1)^2}-\frac{1}{x+b}\right][/tex]

Then I used the integral formula (attached):

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{x^{\mu-1}}{(1+\beta\,x)^v}\,dx=\beta^{-\mu} B(\mu,\,v-\mu)[/tex],

where ##B(.,.)## is the beta function. I got the following:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{(x+1)^2}\,dx=B(1,1)[/tex]

and

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{(x+b)}\,dx=B(1,0)[/tex]

But evaluating ##B(1,1)-B(1,0)## in Mathematica gives me ComplexInfinity! Why?

Likes EngWiPy
Mark44 said:
Because that's how you do it when you have repeated linear factors (i.e., (a + 1)2). If you break it up into only two terms, you don't get the correct decomposition. You need to break the original integrand into three terms, not two.

Actually, I did it as you said, and got A=0, which led to the same result as I did it!

S_David said:
Actually, I did it as you said, and got A=0, which led to the same result as I did it!
Then you made a mistake -- A is not 0. I'm pretty confident in this, as I checked my work.

If you show what you did, we can figure out where you went wrong.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Then you made a mistake -- A is not 0. I'm pretty confident in this, as I checked my work.

If you show what you did, we can figure out where you went wrong.

OK. So first we have

[tex]
\frac{1}{(x + 1)^2} \frac{1}{x + b} = \frac{A}{x + 1} + \frac{B}{(x + 1)^2} + \frac{C}{x + b}=\frac{A(x+1)(x+b)+B(x+b)+C(x+1)^2}{(x+1)^2(x+b)}
[/tex]

This implies that

$$A(x+1)(x+b)+B(x+b)+C(x+1)^2=1$$

For ##x=-1## we get ##B=\frac{1}{b-1}##

For ##x=-b## we get ##C=-\frac{1}{b-1}##

For ##x=0## we get ##Ab+Bb+C=Ab+\frac{b}{b-1}-\frac{1}{b-1}=Ab+1=1## which implies that ##A=0##.

Where did I err?

S_David said:
OK. So first we have

[tex]
\frac{1}{(x + 1)^2} \frac{1}{x + b} = \frac{A}{x + 1} + \frac{B}{(x + 1)^2} + \frac{C}{x + b}=\frac{A(x+1)(x+b)+B(x+b)+C(x+1)^2}{(x+1)^2(x+b)}
[/tex]

This implies that

$$A(x+1)(x+b)+B(x+b)+C(x+1)^2=1$$

For ##x=-1## we get ##B=\frac{1}{b-1}##

For ##x=-b## we get ##C=-\frac{1}{b-1}##

For ##x=0## we get ##Ab+Bb+C=Ab+\frac{b}{b-1}-\frac{1}{b-1}=Ab+1=1## which implies that ##A=0##.

Where did I err?
In your calculation for C. I get C = ##-\frac{1}{(b - 1)^2}##

Likes EngWiPy
Mark44 said:
In your calculation for C. I get C = ##-\frac{1}{(b - 1)^2}##

I think in this case ##C=\frac{1}{(b-1)^2}##, isn't it? But you are right, I missed the square, and don't know how I missed it THREE times! Anyway, thanks

S_David said:
I think in this case ##C=\frac{1}{(b-1)^2}##, isn't it?
Correct. I misread my work.
S_David said:
But you are right, I missed the square, and don't know how I missed it THREE times! Anyway, thanks
One little mistake will throw everything off. That's why I checked my work. After substituting the values for A, B, and C, I ended up with ##\frac{(b - 1)^2}{(b - 1)^2} \equiv 1## (except if b = 1).

Likes EngWiPy
The integral I attached in post #4 works only for ##(x+1)^2##. How to evaluate the other integrals? I found this indefinite integral

$$\int\frac{1}{ax+b}\,dx=\frac{1}{a}\ln|ax+b|$$

Can I use this?

S_David said:
The integral I attached in post #4 works only for ##(x+1)^2##. How to evaluate the other integrals? I found this indefinite integral

$$\int\frac{1}{ax+b}\,dx=\frac{1}{a}\ln|ax+b|$$

Can I use this?
Yes. For both integrals a = 1.

Mark44 said:
Yes. For both integrals a = 1.

Right, but the integrals in my case are definite. Do I need to evaluate the result as ##\left.
\frac{1}{a}\ln|ax+b|\right|_0^{\infty}
##. This will result in ##+\infty##!

All three are improper integrals, so you can't simply substitute ##\infty## into the antiderivatives. You'll need to use limits. Any calculus textbook should have a section on dealing with improper integrals.

Likes EngWiPy

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a certain interval.

2. Why do we need to evaluate integrals?

Integrals are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to solve real-world problems. They allow us to calculate quantities like distance, velocity, and volume, which are essential in understanding and predicting natural phenomena.

3. How do we evaluate an integral?

There are various methods for evaluating integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The chosen method depends on the complexity of the integral and the function being integrated.

4. What are the applications of integrals in science?

Integrals have a wide range of applications in science, including calculating the position of an object in motion, finding the area under a velocity-time graph, determining the work done by a force, and calculating the volume of a three-dimensional shape.

5. What are some tips for evaluating integrals accurately?

When evaluating integrals, it is essential to understand the properties of integrals, such as linearity, the fundamental theorem of calculus, and the rules for differentiating and integrating common functions. It is also crucial to practice and check your work using different methods to ensure accuracy.