Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Figure Required Telescope Diameter?

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    A awhile ago I wrote a program to calculate various things like maximum resolving power of a given telescope's primary mirror, angular diameter of an object of a given size from a given distance and mirror diameter required to see an object of a given angular diameter.

However, I seem to have completely failed on the last part. I just now looked back at that program and got results of tens of kilometers when I know my result should've been mere dozens of meters. Looking at the code, I appear to have involved the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem and photon wavelength, with no recollection as to why.

I have a feeling I'm completely off-base. Could someone enlighten me on how to essentially reverse the Dawes' limit formula, and find the mirror size required for a given angular diameter? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2015 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

From wiki:

"A calculation using Airy discs as point spread function shows that at Dawes' limit there is a 5% dip between the two maxima, whereas at Rayleigh's criterion there is a 26.3% dip."

Does this help? No sampling required, but it is based on diffraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook