Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to figure the initial guess to optimize

1. Dec 31, 2013 #1
    I have the following problem to code using python:

I have 7 parameters: x,y,z,t, HF, M1F, and M2F. The user should input any of these 3 and the program should calculate the rest.

The relations that I have are:

HF = -xyt

M1F = -2xzt + 4yzt - xyt + 4tz^2

M2F = 2yzt - xyt

1 = -2xt + 2yt + 4zt

Attempt to solve the problem:

I have 7 parameters and the user should input 3 => I will be left with 4 parameters. So it's all about solving a system of 4 nonlinear equations with 4 unknowns.

I read online that scipy.optimize could be used to solve a system of nonlinear equations. But I need an initial guess.

Going back to the physics of the problem I have the following initial conditions:

x > 0

y > 0

z < 0

HF > 0

M1F > 0

M2F > 0

M2F > M1F (solving this inequality from the above equations I get: -x + y + 2z < 0)

HF > M1F + d (solving this inequality from the above equations I get: -x + 2y + 2z < 0)

How can these initial conditions help me get the initial guess so that I can solve my problem using scipy.optimize?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you test some trivial initial guesses, like +-1?

What is d in "HF > M1F + d"?

As y>0, "-x + y + 2z < 0" follows from "-x + 2y + 2z < 0", so (assuming those inequalities are correct) "M2F > M1F" follows from the last inequality.

4. Dec 31, 2013 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Jan 9, 2014 #4
    I also haven't figured out the "d". I think it's a typo.
    Another constraint: t > 0
    If t is not provided, +1.0 would be as good a guess as any.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook